Below are some of the tools I use on a daily to weekly basis to run my travel blogging business. The links to some of these tools are affiliate links, so if you sign up for them or purchase them, I’ll earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. As a matter of fact, you’ll get my gratitude and a happy dance for using them in return 🙂
I’ve also added books I’ve read that have helped me develop my business as well as digital marketing blogs I follow.
Let me know if you have a question about any of these.
Keeping the blog online
Siteground is the third hosting company I tried out and so far, the third one has been the charm. Great support, no downtime and very reasonable pricing. I’m on their Go Geek shared hosting plan, which allows for an unlimited amount of websites, as long as they don’t take up more than 30GB web space, which they aren’t even close to doing.
This blog is designed using the StudioPress Genesis framework. While StudioPress sells different themes you can use with the Genesis framework, I had a custom theme designed for Wonderful Wanderings. That’s the benefit of this framework: you can go anywhere with it… if you know how to code or hire a great designer/coder 🙂
Keeping the emails flowing
After having used Mailchimp for over four years, I made the switch to ConvertKit because it allows me to tag my subscribers so that I can send very targeted emails without bothering people with things they don’t want to read about. It’s a bit pricier than other companies, but they’re the only company offering the kind of options that they do.
Aside from having a regular business account with my Belgian bank and an international PayPal account, I started using TransferWise as a way to get paid in foreign currency without having to pay any fees. Unlike PayPal, Transferwise doesn’t charge a fee when you receive money. Their Borderless account functions as a collection of virtual foreign bank accounts through which you can send and receive money in various currencies. You only pay for transfers.
Sign up via my link and get a $500 free transfer.
Travel Blog Success is a course tackling just about everything you need to know as a travel blogger while giving you lots of great networking opportunities in its Facebook group. You can read my review of the course here
Niche Site Freedom is a course by the Australian blogger and niche site expert Sharon Gourlay who earns a more than nice monthly income from her various niche sites. She also built and then sold the high-traffic travel blog Where’s Sharon. Her course consists purely out of actionnable information and takes you by the hand throughout the entire process of building a money-making niche site.
Superstar Blogging is a travel blogging course by the biggest travel blogger out there, Matthew N. Kepnes from Nomadic Matt. It’s mainly different from TBS in that it focuses solely on building a blog as a business. The structure of the course is different as well,
which I’ve written all about in review of the course.
Other useful tools
I use Asana to plan out my to do-list, schedule things far out in the future and create recurring tasks, like doing my accounting every month (yuk!). It also allows you to add team members and assign tasks to them, create projects and more. Overall the best online task calendar I’ve found so far.
I use a bunch of tools to help me with my social media, but I’m pretty sure Tailwind is the most valuable one. It allows me to schedule pins so that I’m not tempted to waste away my days looking at pretty photos on Pinterest itself. It’s very user-friendly and support is great.
Sign up through this link and get your first month of Tailwind Plus for free!
Insightly is the CRM in which I input, tag and categorize all my business contacts. In two seconds I can save any email conversations in there and the paid plan allows me to batch draft and edit emails in just a few minutes. This is like my little black book, but way better.
Books I’ve read
- Will It Fly?: How to Test Your Next Business Idea So You Don’t Waste Your Time and Money – Pat Flynn
- Purposeful Productivity: A Guide to Goal Planning, Stopping Procrastination and Building Online Businesses – Taylor Pearson
- Start With Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone To Take Action – Simon Sinek
- Louder than Words: Harness the Power of Your Authentic Voice – Todd Henry
- The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck: A Counterintuitive Approach to Living a Good Life – Mark Manson
- Better Than Before: Mastering the Habits of Our Everyday Lives – Gretchen Rubin
- Smarter Faster Better: The Secrets of Being Productive – Charles Duhigg
- You Are a Writer (So Start Acting Like One) – Jeff Goins
- Think and Grow Rich – Napoleon Hill
- Predictably Irrational: The Hidden Forces that Shape Our Decisions – Dan Ariely
- The Millionaire Fastlane: Crack the Code to Wealth and Live Rich for a Lifetime – MJ DeMarco
- The Obstacle is the Way: The Ancient Art of Turning Adversity to Advantage – Ryan Holiday
- The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do, and How to Change – Charles Duhigg
- Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion (Collins Business Essentials) – Robert B. Cialdini Phd.
- What Got You Here Won’t Get You There: How successful people become even more successful – Marshall Goldsmith
- Create Or Hate: Successful People Make Things – Dan Norris
- Ask : The counterintuitive online formula to discover exactly what your customers want to buy…create a mass of raving fans…and take any business to the next level – Ryan Levesque
- Decisive: How to make better choices in life and work – Chip and Dan Heath
- The War of Art – Steven Pressfield
- Content Machine: Use Content Marketing to Build a 7-figure Business With Zero Advertising – Dan Norris
- The End of Jobs: Money, Meaning and Freedom Without the 9-to-5 – Taylor Pearson
- The 15 Success Traits of Pro Bloggers: A Proven Roadmap to Becoming a Full-Time Blogger – Jonathan Milligan
- The $100 Startup: Fire Your Boss, Do What You Love and Work Better to Live More – Chris Guillebeau
- The Happiness of Pursuit: Find the Quest that will Bring Purpose to Your Life – Chris Guillebeau
- On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft – Stephen King
- The Suitcase Entrepreneur: Create freedom in business and adventure in life – Natalie Sisson
- How to Write Seductive Web Copy: An Easy Guide to Picking Up More Customers – Henneke Duistermaat
- Trust Me, I’m Lying: Confessions of a Media Manipulator – Ryan Holiday
- Free Prize Inside: The Next Big Marketing Idea – Seth Godin