Each week I talk to someone who left their home country behind and moved to Belgium. This week expat Katherine from Argentina tells us about her life here.
1. Hi, Katherine! Could you please introduce yourself? Tell us a bit about who you are, where you are from, where in Belgium you moved to and when/why you made that move.
My name is Katherine, I am 23 years old and born in Argentina, but I lived in Panama for several years. I am living in Wijnegem since April 14th. I came here because my boyfriend is Belgian.
2. What were your expectations before you moved to Belgium and did the reality align with those expectations?
I knew Belgium was a really nice place to live cause I came here for vacation last year. I have nothing bad to say about it. This country opened its arms to me since the very first moment.
3. What’s the biggest difference between life in Argentina and living in Belgium?
Culture!!! Is really different but I like it more here. I like to see everyone getting together and spend quality time even in a coffee place. We don’t do it in Panama, but we do in Argentina.
4. What do you love most about Belgium?
5. What do you like least about Belgium?/h3>
The weather. Panama is warm all year long.
6. What do you miss most about Argentina?
The beaches and the weather!
7. Do you think you’ll stay where you are now, or do you think you’ll migrate again some day?
I think we will move someday but not soon. But we like to travel and we are always looking for some amazing destination to go.
8. Could you share some of your favorite spots in Belgium with us?
I am in love with Antwerpen! (Meir, Groenplaats, central station)
I also like Ieper, Bruges, Gent, Wallonia.
Are you an expat who moved to Belgium, or do you know someone who is? I’m always looking for new expats to talk to. Check out the X-pat Files for more information on who exactly I’m looking for and drop me a line!