I’ve been going to London for several years now and I still discover something new every time I’m there. There are some things, however, you should definitely do on your first trip to London. Here’s a list of the city’s typical touristy must-do’s and a list with, well, less-typical activities in London, England.
Things to do in London your first time there
1. Take funny pictures at Madame Tussaud’s (Tip: buy tickets online in advance to avoid long queues on the day of your visit)
2. Visit the Tower
3. Watch the Changing of the Guard at Buckingham Palace
4. Catch a musical at the West End (check the West End Theatre website for new shows); I’ve never seen musicals that good as they are in London
5. Go shopping on Oxford Street, but be aware: it’s crazy there after work hours and on Saturdays
6. Have afternoon tea at a fancy hotel, like I did
7. Take a picture of St. Paul’s Cathedral
8. Soak up the lively ambience of Covent Garden
9. Wander through the stands and shops of Camden Lock Market
10. Spend a couple of hours at the Natural History Museum
Less typical things to do in London
11. Take the underground to Canary Wharf. It’s like entering a completely separate business city.
12. Ride the DLR on to Greenwich to visit the Cutty Sark, Old Naval College and the Observatory
13. Take the river bus back to the center. You can also take it near Tower Bridge to go to Greenwich.
14. Have some Indian food in one of the many curry restaurants on Brick Lane. Afterwards you can admire the graffiti art on the street, check out an art exhibition or have a drink at one of the trendy bars.
15. … before you walk on to Old Spittalfields Market. You might see a band playing there and if not there are plenty of stands to roam through.
16. Go to a stand-up comedy show at night. The Comedy Store near Leicester Square is really nice.
17. Check out the antique market on Portobello Road and wonder through Notting Hill.
18. Take a trip to Windsor to visit the castle. You can easily get there by train.
19. Attend a hearing at the Old Bailey.
20. Go food tasting at Borough Market.
Pin for later
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE:
A good night’s sleep at the London Shaftesburry
The Comedy Store: a great night out in London
Can’t visit London without visiting Covent Garden
My first cup of afternoon tea
The Natural History Museum in London
Sampling food at Borough Market
5 steps to finding your way around the London tube lines
Not so typical London: Canary Wharf and Greenwich