I absolutely love Los Angeles and by Los Angeles I mean LA County. This region just has so much to offer: concerts, nature, shopping, dining, sports … Here are 20 things to do in Los Angeles, the US:
20 things to do in Los Angeles
1. Visit the Getty Center. The entrance is free but you have to pay for parking ($15 or $10 (if you go in the evening) per car.
2. Spend a day in Santa Monica. Walk up and down Santa Monica Pier, go shopping on 3rd Street Promenade and get some sun on the beach. You can also follow the beach path all the way to Venice Beach or walk down Main Street to see another, less touristy side of Santa Monica.
3. Spend a day at Venice Beach. Although Venice is right next to Santa Monica I think the vibe is completely different here. Much more arty, with street artists performing along the Ocean Front Walk and great graffiti everywhere. Make sure to check out the Venice Canals as well.
4. Drive to Malibu for a day. Spend some time on the state beaches and visit the Getty Villa, a museum build to represent an ancient Roman villa.
5. Go to Universal Studios Hollywood, preferably on a week day when it’s likely a bit less crowdy.
6. Have a meal at In-N-Out Burger. A great burger, a drink and fries for $5,05 – say what!? (PS In-N-Out is also the way to go if things don’t flow so well…)
7. Go to Six Flags Magic Mountain and scrreeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaam in all the thrilling rides
8. Hike up to the Griffith Observatory and visit it. It’s free and you’ll get amazing views over the city. be sure to be there when one of the museum employees explains why it is that your zodiac sign isn’t always the same.
9. Go hiking at Runyon Canyon to get more great views… and a work-out! It’s unbelievable that people come here to actually do a morning run. One word: respect!
10. Go see a stand-up comedy show in North Hollywood. I’ve been to the Ha Ha Comedy Cafe to see a beginner’s contest. Three hours of comedy was worth the $10 entrance fee. Be aware though: they want you to consume two things (drinks or food) per person during the show.
11. Have something to eat at Farmers Market in West Hollywood. There’s a wide range of foods to choose from or you could just have dessert or a drink as well. In summer there are bands performing live on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays.
12. Or you could grab a bite at Grand Central Market downtown. Be aware that parking around there can be a b*tch.
13. Afterwards you can head to El Pueblo, where Los Angeles originated. Olivera Street is a bit touristy, but it’s just a place you can’t not visit.
14. From El Pueblo it’s only a five-minute walk to Chinatown.
16. Go shopping. Especially on Melrose Avenue in West Hollywood. Oh and at Macy’s in the Beverly Center.
17. Only go window shopping in Beverly Hills, though.
18. Marvel at the giant houses of Bel Air.
19. Walk the Walk of Fame and have your picture taken with Spiderman or Michael Jackson.
20. Go to Starbucks (I know, but you should, just once).
Where to stay in Los Angeles?
If you’re looking for an apartment rather than a hotel, I would recommend checking airbnb. Sign up through my link and get a discount on your first stay!
How to get to LA
I flew from Brussels to LA via New York. Click here to find the best flights for your trip.
Pin for later
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE:
One fun week in LA
Dancing in the City of Angels
How In-N-Out Burger saved me from constipation
Hiking at Runyon Canyon
Pulling goofy faces at the Getty Center
An unexpected night at the Sheraton LAX
Driving and parking in Los Angeles
Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. If you book a stay through them, I earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Thanks for supporting the site!