People living there: more than 8,620,000
Practical information for travel to Austria
Power voltage and socket type(s): 230V, plug types C and F
Official religion(s)/Freedom of religion: Freedom of religion. 3/4 of the population is Roman Catholique, followed by non-religious citizens, Protestants, Muslims and Orthodox Christians.
Official language(s) and general knowledge of English: German, English is widely spoken.
WEATHER IN AUSTRIA
- Weather in Austria in January:It’s the coldest month of the year, with temperatures around 0°C during the day. It’s slightly milder in the west of the country than in the east and will be freezing during the day in the mountains. You can expect two hours of sunshine each day and eight days of snow or rainfall per month. Bring warm, waterproof clothes.
- Weather in Austria in February: It’s still freezing, with one extra hour of sunshine every day and one day less of snowfall or rain. Bring warm, waterproof clothes.
- Weather in Austria in March: The temperature starts going up, ranging between 1°C and 9°C during the day. It’s a bit milder in Vienna than in the rest of the country. Expect four hours of daily sunshine and seven days of rain or snow this month. bring warm, waterproof clothes.
- Weather in Austria in April: The weather’s unpredictable, with temperatures ranging on average between 9°C and 15°C, four hours of sunshine every day and about eight days of rain or snow throughout the month. Bring layers and a waterproof jacket.
- Weather in Austria in May: The weather becomes more pleasant, with temperatures between 10°C and 19°C, up to seven hours of sunshine every day and eight days of rain over the month. Bring layers.
- Weather in Austria in June: Temperatures between 14°C and 22°C with the occasional hot day in between. Eight hours of daily sunshine, but also nine days of rain throughout the month. Dress light, but bring a rain jacket.
- Weather in Austria in July: Summer! Temperatures between 15°C and a feeling-hotter-than-it-is 25°C with eight hours of sunshine each day and nine days of rain in the month. Bring light clothing and a refillable water bottle.
- Weather in Austria in August: August can be hot and humid, with temperatures between 15°C and 24°C but often feeling warmer. Sunshine hours fall back to seven per day, with eight possible days of rain. Bring light clothing and layers for the mornings and evenings.
- Weather in Austria in September: The country starts cooling down with average temperatures between 12°C and 21°C, six hours of sunshine each day and about seven days of rain throughout the month. Prepare for varying temperatures.
- Weather in Austria in October: Autumn has arrived, with temperatures dropping between 7°C and 14°C, sunshine for about four hours every day and six days of rain. Layer up!
- Weather in Austria in November: It’s generally cold and a bit miserable, with temperatures ranging on average between 4°C and 8°C, only two hours of sunlight each day and eight days of rain or early snow. Dress warm and bring wind- and waterproof clothing and shoes.
- Weather in Austria in December: Christmas time! Bundle up to visit the many Christmas markets around the country and have some glühwein to forget about the cold temperatures, with averages between 0°C and 3°C. On average, December days will only get about two hours of sunshine and the month will see, again, on average, eight days of rain or snow. Bring all the warm things!