People living there: more than 7,360,000
Practical information for travel to Bulgaria
Currency: Bulgarian lev
Power voltage and socket type(s): 230V, plug types F and C.
Official religion(s)/Freedom of religion: Freedom of religion. 60% of the population is Christian, followed by non-believing citizens, and Muslims.
Official language(s) and general knowledge of English: Bulgarian is the official language. Basic English is widely spoken in urban areas.
Weather in Bulgaria
Bulgaria has different climate zones so the weather – especially how warm it is- depends heavily on where in the country you are.
- Weather in Bulgaria in January: Together with December, January is Bulgaria’s coldest month with temperatures between -3°C and 5°C in Sofia and the mountains and up to 7°C by the Black Sea. It rains 7 to 12 days a month, with most rain falling by the Black Sea. There are 2 hours of sunshine each day.
- Weather in Bulgaria in February: February is only slightly warmer, with temperatures around -3°C to 6°C in Sofia and the mountains, and 0°C to 8°C by the coast. It rains 6 to 7 days a month and there are around 3 hours of sunshine.
- Weather in Bulgaria in March: In March, temperatures become positive throughout the country, ranging between 0°C and 10°C. There’s between 6 and 11 rainy days a month, with a less rain falling in the mountains than elsewhere. You can get about 3 hours of sunshine each day.
- Weather in Bulgaria in April: Temperatures rise to between 5°C and 15°C throughout the country, with about 16 days of rain in Sofia, but only 9 in the mountains and by the sea. Daily sunrise hours increase to 6.
- Weather in Bulgaria in May: In May, temperatures range between 9°C and 20°C on average, with a slightly milder climate by the coast. It’s the wettest month of the year, with around 16 days of rain in Sofia and 10 in the mountains and by the sea. There’s 8 hours of sunshine by the coast, 7 in the rest of the country.
- Weather in Bulgaria in June: In June, summer arrives with temperatures between 13°C and 25°C, with the weather being the best by the coast. It’s still rather wet, with between 9 and 14 days of rain. Sofia gets the most rainy days but the country now enjoys 9 hours of daily sunshine.
- Weather in Bulgaria in July: That goes up to 10 in July, with temperatures also rising to between 14°C and 28°C. Rainy days drop to between 7 and 11.
- Weather in Bulgaria in August: Temperatures in August range between 14°C average minimum and 27°C average maximum, with 10 rainy days in Sofia and only 5 in the mountains and 6 by the coast. Sunshine hours drop to 9 per day.
- Weather in Bulgaria in September: It only gets a bit wetter in September by the coast, but the sunshine hours drop to 7 per day. Temperatures drop as well, to averages of 11°C minimum and 24°C maximum.
- Weather in Bulgaria in October: They drop even further in October, to between 11°C and 18°C, with the coastal area being warmer than the rest of the country. It’s also a bit sunnier, with 6 hours of sunshine against 5 in the rest of the country. It rains 6 to 11 days this month, with Sofia being the wettest and the mountains getting the least rain.
- Weather in Bulgaria in November: That rain discrepancy stays the same in November, with each region getting a few more rainy days as well as less sunshine. Temperatures now range between 1°C and 13°C, with the coastal area being significantly warmer than the rest of the country.
- Weather in Bulgaria in December: December is similar to January both in terms of temperatures, rainy days and sunshine hours.