The Braunschweig Christmas Market is an outdoor Christmas market located in the city center of Braunschweig, Germany, surrounding the St. Blasii Cathedral. The market opens on Wednesday, November 29, 2023 and closes on Friday, December 29, 2023. The Christmas market attracts hundreds of thousands of visitors annually from Germany and abroad.
The Christmas market caters to 130 festively decorated wooden stalls offering Christmas gifts, ornaments, crafts, clothing, candles and food items perfect for holiday shopping. The market caters to popular seasonal foods, traditional Christmas market drinks and souvenirs. The market features entertainment and events such as Christmas carols performed by choirs, concerts at the St. Blasii Cathedral, a puppet theater at the regional museum, light displays and installations that illuminate the castle moat and Oker River. The Braunschweig Christmas Market is completely free with optional costs for food, drink, rides and event tickets.
What is the Braunschweig Christmas Market?
The Braunschweig Christmas Market is a traditional outdoor Christmas market held annually in Braunschweig, Germany. It is considered one of the oldest and most famous Christmas markets in northern Germany. The first recorded Christmas market in Braunschweig was held in 1505 and was founded by merchant craftsmen selling wares in the weeks leading up to the Christmas season. The market opens on Wednesday, November 29, 2023 and closes on Friday, December 29, 2023.
The market is located in the center of Braunschweig, surrounding the St. Blasii Cathedral. The Christmas market evolved from being an annual tradition into one of the largest and most renowned Christmas markets in the region. The Christmas market developed a reputation for its abundant handicrafts, warm hospitality and Christmas cheer. The Christmas market features 130 festively decorated wooden stalls offering visitors a bounty of handmade crafts, ornaments, toys, clothing items, candles and other seasonal goods perfect for holiday shopping.
When does the Braunschweig Christmas Market open?
The Braunschweig Christmas Market opens on Wednesday, November 29, 2023 and runs daily until Saturday, December 29, 2023. The Christmas market opens on November 29, 2023, at 5:45 pm and operations begin at 6 pm. The market operates daily from 10 am to 9 pm, except for Sundays when it opens at 11 am.
Where is the Braunschweig Christmas Market taking place?
The Braunschweig Christmas Market is taking place in the historic city center of Braunschweig, Germany. The market surrounds the St. Blasii Cathedral, located at Burgplatz 4A, 38100 Braunschweig. The coordinates for St. Blasii Cathedral are 52°15'52″N 10°31'31″E.
Why should you visit the Braunschweig Christmas Market?
Listed below are the reasons why you should visit the Braunschweig Christmas Market.
- Seasonal Flavours. Seasonal flavors of traditional delicacies like bratwurst, potato pancakes, roasted chestnuts, gingerbread and mulled wine. The regional specialties stand out in Braunschweig Chrismas Market.
- Local Arts and Crafts. Local arts and crafts are featured at the Braunschweig Christmas Market. Visitors can find traditional German Christmas decorations made from trimmed wood, glass bulbs, cloth angels and intricately carved nutcrackers. Visitors can watch demonstrations from glass blowers crafting delicate ornaments, iron smiths forging candle holders and carvers sculpting nativity figurines.
- Experience German Culture. Experience German culture and catch the official ceremony of the Mayor tapping the first barrel of “Weihnachtsbier” to launch the Christmas beer during the Braunschweig Christmas Market season.
- Shows and Parades. Shows and Parades to catch exciting events the Braunschweig Christmas Market offers like medieval-themed performers, dance shows and Santa parades with real reindeer. The market highlights one of Europe's largest Advent calendar light shows displayed on the Town Hall building facade.
What is the cost of visiting the Braunschweig Christmas Market?
The Braunschweig Christmas Markets does not charge an entry fee. Access to the market squares and streets is completely free. Visitors can wander the stalls, displays and attractions without needing to buy a ticket. The only optional costs involved would be fees for rides, food, drinks and special events. Rides to carousels, Ferris wheels, steam trains for kids and other rides require tickets ranging from €2 ($2, £1) to €8 ($8, £7) per ride. Food and drinks such as bratwursts, mulled wine, mumme beer and other beverages range between €2 ($2, £1) to €8 ($8, £7). Special Christmas market events and concerts like Christmas carols performed by choirs, concerts at the St. Blasii Cathedral and a puppet theater at the regional museum require separate tickets ranging from €5 ($5, £4) to €10 ($10, £8) per event.
What are the attractions close to the Braunschweig Christmas Market?
Listed below are the attractions close to the Braunschweig Christmas Market.
- Burgplatz (Castle Square). Burgplatz serves as a historical center that is rich in architectural and cultural heritage. It is an essential visit for Christmas market visitors, aside from the Braunschweig Christmas Market. The square showcases medieval structures like the Dankwarderode Castle and Brunswick Cathedral, offering visitors a glimpse into the city's past.
- Herzog Anton Ulrich Museum. Herzog Anton Ulrich Museum is one of Germany's oldest art museums located 0.5 kilometers (0.3 miles) from Braunschweig Christmas Market. The museum presents a broad collection of European art, making it a worthwhile stop for Christmas market visitors.
- Schloss Arkaden. Schloss Arkaden offers a modern shopping experience for the Christmas market visitors. Visitors to the market can explore a variety of shops, adding a contemporary contrast to the traditional market experience that the Braunschweig Christmas market offers.
- Braunschweigisches Landesmuseum. Braunschweigisches Landesmuseum offers insight into the regional history and culture of Braunschweig. It is an educational stop for Christmas market visitors to learn about the local heritage and history of Braunschweig Christmas Market.
Is there an alternative name for Braunschweig Christmas Market?
Yes, Braunschweig Christmas Market is known as the “Braunschweiger Weihnachtsmarkt” in German.
What is the impact of the Braunschweig Christmas Market on the local economy and tourism?
The Braunschweig Christmas Market has a positive impact on the local economy and tourism of Braunschweig. These are significant revenue for the city, provide income for local businesses and vendors, create seasonal employment and promote cultural heritage. The Christmas market attracts hundreds of thousands of visitors each year from Germany and abroad, bringing a major boost in revenue for the city. All the festive shopping, food/drink sales and hotel stays generate substantial revenue. The market provides income for local businesses as many small businesses and vendors rely on this annual surge of visitors as a major share of annual sales and income. It creates employment as the market employs locals in seasonal jobs running stalls, providing food and drinks, security and waste management. It creates demand for imported specialty goods to stock the 130+ decorated stalls. The market promotes cultural heritage as local performers get exposure and paid opportunities to showcase their talents in spaces around the market. Events like the choir performances bring cultural enrichment.
Is the Braunschweig Christmas Market better than the Düsseldorf Christmas Markets?
Yes, Braunschweig Christmas Market is better than the Düsseldorf Christmas Markets in terms of history, location and Christmas market. Braunschweig has a long history dating back to 1505, making it one of the oldest in Germany. The market features old traditional crafts and seasonal goods that reflect its history. The market is in the historic city center of Braunschweig, surrounded by medieval architecture like the St. Blasii Cathedral, Dankwarderode Castle and the city's half-timbered guild halls that create an authentic German Christmas market ambiance. Braunschweigs’ smaller regional market, offers a more intimate, old-fashioned Christmas market experience focused on local handicrafts, foods, heritages and hospitality.
What food can visitors eat at the Braunschweig Christmas Market?
Listed below are the foods visitors can eat at the Braunschweig Christmas Market.
- Brunswick Stollen. Brunswick stollen is a dense, moist German fruitcake filled with nuts, candied orange or lemon peel and raisins. It is a beloved regional Christmas treat. It is one of the best foods at Braunschweig Christmas Market. Stollen is considered one of the best German food for international visitors to try.
- Bratchips with Dips. Bratchips with dips are paper cones filled with piping hot bratwurst pieces, fried potato cubes, sausage meatballs and fried bacon bits making a perfect savory snack. This dish is a Braunschweig specialty that can be purchased at the Braunschweig Christmas market.
- Potato Pancakes. Get authentic German potato pancakes, made from grated potatoes mixed with flour and eggs then fried golden. They are typically served with tangy applesauce or savory dipping sauces. These are considered some of the best potato pancakes in Germany and can be purchased at the Braunschweig Christmas market.
- Roasted Almonds. The Braunschweig Christmas Market is filled with the aroma of almonds roasting fresh daily in little iron pans over open fires. Christmas market visitors can buy these hot, freshly roasted almonds at the Braunschweig Christmas market.
What to drink in the Braunschweig Christmas Market?
Listed below are the drinks you can have at the Braunschweig Christmas Market.
- Glühwein (Mulled Wine). Glühwein is a traditional hot spiced red wine that is a must-have drink at any European Christmas market. Glühwein is available in the Braunschweig Christmas market. The rich red wine is infused with orange, lemon, cinnamon, star anise and cloves. It is usually served in commemorative mugs that visitors can take home.
- Hot Chocolate. Hot Chocolate, made from melted chocolate shavings and steamed milk, is a traditional drink available at Braunschweig Christmas Market stalls. It is topped with whipped cream or marshmallows and enjoyed by market visitors.
- Fruit Wines. Fruit Wines using strawberries, raspberries, blueberries and other fruits are a specialty in Braunschweig. Fruit wines are often sweetened and sometimes fortified with brandy or other spirits. These fruit wines are available in the Braunschweig Christmas Market.
- Mumme Beer. Mumme Beer is what the Braunschweig Christmas Market is known for. The market offers a chance for Christmas market visitors to try traditional festive holiday beers from local breweries. Mumme beer is a sweet, malty beer brewed only in the region according to an old recipe using malt dried over open fires.
What can people buy in the Braunschweig Christmas Market?
Listed below are the things you can buy at the Braunschweig Christmas market.
- Braunschweig Ornamental Wares. Braunschweig ornamental wares are glass mugs, cups and Christmas balls painted or engraved with scenes of Braunschweig landmarks, which are popular ornamental souvenirs. These make great, memorable keepsakes and are displayed at the Braunschweig Christmas Market.
- Artisanal Wooden Toys. Artisanal wooden toys are hand-carved wooden trucks, trains, planes, rocking horses and spinning tops. These are old-fashioned toys for children available at Braunschweig Christmas markets. These toys reflect traditional German crafts.
- Decorative Candles. Decorative Candles made from beeswax candles shaped into Christmas decorations like stars, trees and angels make fragrant holiday decor. These candles are packaged as souvenirs at the Braunschweig Christmas Market and are popular souvenirs for Christmas market visitors.
- Wooden Nutcrackers. Wooden Nutcrackers are traditional Christmas decorations, often carved into figures like toy soldiers or kings. Vendors at the Braunschweig Christmas Market sell nutcrackers of different sizes, shapes and colors. Nutcrackers make unique collectible gifts.
How to get to the Braunschweig Christmas Market?
There are four ways to get to Braunschweig Christmas Market. These are by plane, train, metro, taxi and on foot. Firstly, by plane, the nearest airport is Brunswick Airport (BWE), located 9 kilometers (5.5 miles) from the city center. Visitors can take a taxi or bus to the Christmas market from the airport with a travel time of 15 to 20 minutes. Secondly, by train, the
Braunschweig Central Station is connected to major German cities by hourly train services. Visitors can head south down to Bahnhofstrasse and turn right onto Schild to get into the Christmas market. Thirdly, by metro, visitors can take metro lines M1 or M2 to the Rathaus or Bohlweg stops to get to the Christmas market grounds. Thirdly, taxis are available for hire outside Braunschweig Station or can be booked in advance. Lastly, on foot, visitors staying near the Old Town area can get to the Christmas market grounds by walking 1 kilometer (0.6 miles) from the downtown hotels and accommodations.
Where to stay in Braunschweig during the Braunschweig Christmas Market?
Listed below are the best hotels to stay near Braunschweig Christmas Market.
- Steigenberger Parkhotel Braunschweig. Steigenberger Parkhotel Braunschweig is a 4-star hotel located 1 kilometer (0.6 miles) from the Braunshweig Christmas Market. The hotel features marble bathrooms, flat-screen TVs and free Wi-Fi. Visitors can unwind in the on-site spa featuring a sauna, indoor pool and other wellness facilities after a long day at the markets. The excellent service and amenities make Steigenberger Park Hotel a pampering place to stay during the Christmas market season, which makes visitors' stay in Germany worth every penny.
- Premier Inn Braunschweig City Centre Hotel. The Premier Inn Braunschweig City Centre Hotel is located 1.6 kilometers (1 mile) from the Braunschweig Christmas Market. The hotel features contemporary rooms that promise a restful retreat with soft beds, while the relaxed atmosphere encourages visitors to unwind. Premier Inn Braunschweig City Centre Hotel is one of the suggested Christmas accommodations at Braunschweig.
- IntercityHotel Braunschweig. IntercityHotel Braunschweig is located 1.6 kilometers (1 mile) from the Braunschweig Christmas Market. The hotel features modern rooms with convenient amenities like free Wi-Fi and flat-screen TVs. Visitors consistently praise the friendly service and generous breakfast buffet that the hotel offers. IntercityHotel's combination of convenience and comfort creates an ideal home base while visitors enjoy the Braunschweig Christmas Market fun.
- B&B Hotel Braunschweig-City. B&B Hotel Braunschweig-City is located 2.4 kilometers (1.5 miles) from the Braunschweig Christmas Market surrounding St. Blasii Cathedral. The hotel offers simple rooms for visitors who prioritize affordability. The hotel is for visitors who are on a budget. B&B Hotel checks the boxes on location, amenities and cost.
What are the best restaurants to eat in Braunschweig?
Listed below are the best restaurants to eat in Braunschweig.
- SULTANA-Das arabische Restaurant. SULTANA-Das Arabische Restaurant is located 1.6 kilometers (1 mile) from Braunschweig Christmas Market. The restaurant specializes in Middle Eastern fare and diners are drawn to SULTANA's generous mixed grills piled with tender meat and flavorful vegetables. SULTANA offers an authentic taste of Arabia in Braunschweig. This family-owned restaurant wins diners with its traditional cooking and warm, welcoming atmosphere that makes visitors want to try and eat in Germany.
- Braunschweiger Parlament. The Braunschweiger Parlament restaurant is located in a historic mill 2 kilometers (1.2 miles) from Braunschweig Christmas Market. The restaurant specializes in hearty German cuisine using regional ingredients and time-tested techniques. The restaurant has two best dishes, namely the Braunkohl, a beloved local preparation of smoked pork served with stewed kale and buttery potatoes and the Mumme pork roast, flavored with Braunschweig's unique malt extract. The Braunschweiger Parlament has become a beloved place for experiencing regional German cuisine.
- Restaurant Saz. Restaurant Saz is located 2 kilometers (1.2 miles) from Braunschweig Christmas market. Saz brings the flavors of Turkey to Germany through its kebabs, lahmacun and homemade baklava with generous portions to keep the diners' stomachs and wallets happy. The restaurant’s authentic food comes straight from the family's recipes. Saz promises top-notch Turkish cuisine that leads to many return visits.
- Tandure. Tandure is located 3 kilometers (1.8 miles) from Braunschweig Christmas market. Tandure is known across the town of Braunschweig for its extensive range of aromatic curries, perfectly spiced biryanis and tender tandoori offerings, Tandure offers genuine Indian cuisine tailored to European tastes. Favorites like the rich chicken tikka masala and crispy cauliflower stir fries appeal to vegetarians and carnivorous dinners. Visitors looking for Indian food in Braunschweig consistently rank Tandure as top.
PIN FOR LATER
Find below the Christmas Markets guides across the world.