Düsseldorf Christmas Markets are held annually in Düsseldorf, Germany. It is one of the oldest and largest Christmas markets in Germany, spread across seven interconnected squares in the Altstadt area. The market opens on Thursday, November 23, 2023 and closes on Saturday, December 30, 2023. The markets attract millions of visitors from around the world each year, providing a major boost to Düsseldorf's tourism economy. The markets feature 1,300 wooden stalls across its 7 markets selling Christmas decorations, ornaments, toys, food, drinks and more. There are notable food items including mulled wine, bratwurst, potato pancakes, roasted almonds and gingerbread. Live entertainment like music, dance and theatre takes place daily across various market locations.
What are the Düsseldorf Christmas Markets?
Düsseldorf Christmas Markets known as Düsseldorfer Weihnachtsmarkt in German is a traditional Christmas market that is held annually in Düsseldorf, Germany. Düsseldorf Christmas Markets is considered the oldest, largest and most famous Christmas market in Germany, attracting millions of visitors each year.
Düsseldorf Christmas Markets are held in Altstadt, Düsseldorf and are composed of several interconnected squares. Düsseldorf has 7 Christmas markets namely, Engelchen Markt, Sternchen Markt, Handwerker Markt, Altstadt Markt, Märchen Markt, Kö-Bogen Markt and Schadow Markt. There are over 500 festively decorated wooden stalls offering traditional German Christmas foods, hot mulled wine (Glühwein), international cuisine, Christmas decorations, ornaments, arts and crafts and more. The stalls are shops run by local vendors and artisans. There is a mix of traditional and modern items. The market features live music, singing and entertainment takes place daily on stages scattered around the market.
Düsseldorf St. Martin's Day Parade marks the opening of the market each year. The market has its origins in the Middle Ages when farmers, artisans and bakers came to town to sell their wares before Christmas. The official December market was recorded in Düsseldorf from the 16th century and it grew into a major event by the 1800s. The market today attracts Christmas market visitors from around the world and is a huge tourist attraction, bringing business to Düsseldorf.
Listed below are the best Christmas markets in Düsseldorf.
- Engelchen Markt. Engelchen Markt is an annual Christmas market in Düsseldorf on Heinrich-Heine-Platz. The market opens on Thursday, November 23, 2023 and closes on Saturday, December 30, 2023. The market caters to 3 million visitors yearly. Engelchen Markt has over 240 booths selling Christmas decorations, ornaments, nativity scenes, toys and crafts. Food and drink booths offer mulled wine, gingerbread, sausages and other German food. Engelchen Markt is located northeast of Düsseldorf's main train station. Visitors can take public transportation like trams, buses, S-bahn or U-bahn to reach the site. Ample parking is available in the area.
- Sternchen Markt. Sternchen Markt is a Christmas market in the Wilhelm-Marx-Haus courtyard in Düsseldorf. The market opens on Thursday, November 23, 2023 and closes on Saturday, December 30, 2023. Sternchen Markt expects 250,000 visitors. It is a smaller market compared to others in Düsseldorf. Sternchen Markt has over 70 decorated huts selling Christmas gifts, ornaments, crafts, food and drinks like roasted almonds, potato pancakes, bratwurst, sweets and mulled wine. There are crafts including glass ornaments, nutcrackers, wood carvings, smoker men and handmade jewelry. Sternchen Markt is a short walk from the Heinrich-Heine-Allee tram stop.
- Handwerker Markt. Handwerker Markt takes place on Marktplatz in Dusseldorf, Germany. The market opens on Thursday, November 23, 2023 and closes on Saturday, December 30, 2023. The market attracts tens of thousands of visitors each year. The market has over 100 stalls showing traditional German crafts and handmade regional goods like pottery, glasswork, jewelry, textiles, carved wood and more. Craftspeople work onsite and visitors can buy locally-made souvenirs. There are activities for children and folk music/dance performances. Handwerker Markt can be reached by foot or public transportation like trams, buses and metro to stops like Heinrich-Heine-Allee.
- Altstadt Markt. Altstadt Markt is located on Flinger Strass in Düsseldorf, Germany. It opens November 23 and closes December 30, 2023, attracting 5,000-7,000 daily visitors. The 70 stalls offer Christmas ornaments, nutcrackers, smoked glass, wooden toys, woolens and more. Visitors can sample foods like potato pancakes, sausages, roasted nuts, baked goods and mulled wine. Locally made crafts, ceramics, wines, cheeses and gifts are sold. Altstadt Markt is convenient, right between Berger and Bolker Strass.
- Märchen Markt. Märchen Markt is adjacent to Corneliusplatz in Düsseldorf, Germany. The market opens on Thursday, November 23, 2023 and closes on Saturday, December 30, 2023. It attracts over 4 million visitors annually as one of Germany's largest markets. The 250 stalls offer decorations, ornaments, toys, crafts, food and more. There are specialized themed markets too. Düsseldorf's central train station is a 10-minute walk away. Visitors can take trams 709 or 719 to the Corneliusplatz stop.
- Kö-Bogen Markt. Kö-Bogen Markt is located at Kö-Bogen Plaza in Düsseldorf. The market opens on Thursday, November 23, 2023 and closes on Saturday, December 30, 2023. It attracts over 10,000 visitors daily. The 80 stalls sell Christmas decorations, carved figures, baked goods, mulled wine and more. There is an ice rink for skating and live music. Kö-Bogen Markt is conveniently located near metro, bus and tram stops. Vehicle access is possible via Jean-Geissen-Straße and Haroldstraße.
- Schadow Markt. Schadow Markt is in front of Schadow-Arkaden in Düsseldorf. The market opens on Thursday, November 23, 2023 and closes on Saturday, December 30, 2023 and attracts 1 million visits annually. It has 70 stalls selling decorations, crafts and food/drinks like mulled wine, roasted nuts, crepes and more. The market is within walking distance of the metro, tram, bus and parking garages.
1. Engelchen Markt
Engelchen Markt is an annual Christmas market held in Düsseldorf, Germany on the Heinrich-Heine-Platz. The market opens on Thursday, November 23, 2023 and closes on Saturday, December 30, 2023. The market caters to 3 million Christmas market visitors at Engelchen Markt each year.
Engelchen Markt features over 240 wooden booths selling traditional Christmas decorations, ornaments, nativity scenes, toys and crafts. Food and drink booths offer mulled wine, gingerbread, sausages and other German delicacies.
Heinrich-Heine-Platz is located just northeast of the main train station in central Dusseldorf. Visitors can take public transportation like trams, buses, S-bahn or U-bahn to reach the Christmas market site. The Engelchen Markt's convenient location makes it easy to access.
2. Sternchen Markt
Sternchen Markt is an annual Christmas market located in the courtyard of Wilhelm-Marx-Haus in Dusseldorf, Germany. The market opens on Thursday, November 23, 2023 and closes on Saturday, December 30, 2023. Sternchen Markt expects 250,000 visitors during its month-long run. It is a smaller Christmas market compared to other Dusseldorf's Christmas markets.
Sternchen Markt features over 70 festively decorated wooden huts to sell Christmas gifts, ornaments, crafts, food and drinks. Offerings include roasted almonds, potato pancakes, bratwurst, sweets, mulled wine and more. Shoppers can find unique gifts like glass ornaments, nutcrackers, wood carvings, smoker men and handmade jewelry. Dusseldorf's other holiday offerings like ice skating rinks and Christmas light displays further complement the Sternchen Markt for those looking to get into the Christmas spirit.
Sternchen Markt can easily be reached via public transportation, just a short walk from the Heinrich-Heine-Allee stop on tram lines 706 and 708.
3. Handwerker Markt
Handwerker Markt takes place on Marktplatz, the central square in Dusseldorf, Germany every year. The market opens on Thursday, November 23, 2023 and closes on Saturday, December 30, 2023. The market attracts tens of thousands of visitors each year.
Handwerker Markt offers visitors the chance to experience traditional German crafts and culture. The market features over 100 stalls showing traditional crafts and handmade goods from the region. Craftspeople from across Germany come to sell their wares, including pottery, glasswork, jewelry, textiles, carved wood products and more. Visitors can walk around the stalls, observe craftspeople at work, buy locally-made souvenirs and sample regional food and drink. There are activities for children like candle-making workshops. Folk music and dance performances provide entertainment on the Marktplatz stage throughout the festival.
Handwerker Markt can easily be reached on foot or using convenient public transportation options. Public transportation like trams, buses and the U-Bahn metro system can be taken to stops like Heinrich-Heine-Allee, which are a 5-10 minute walk from the market area.
4. Altstadt Markt
Altstadt Markt is located on Flinger Strass in Dusseldorf, Germany. It is an open-air market that opens on Thursday, November 23, 2023 and closes on Saturday, December 30, 2023. Altstadt Markt attracts around 5,000 to 7,000 Christmas market visitors daily.
Altstadt Markt features 70 festively decorated wooden stalls that fill the Altstadt Markt, offering Christmas ornaments, nutcrackers, smoked glass artworks, wooden toys, handmade woolens and more. Christmas shoppers can browse the stalls while smelling scents of roasted almonds, gingerbread, glühwein (mulled wine) and bratwurst. Altstadt Christmas Market has specialty regional foods like Reibekuchen (potato pancakes), chimney cakes, sausages, roasted chestnuts and freshly baked waffles. Vendors sell traditional German holiday treats like stollen, lebkuchen and chocolate-covered candies. Locally produced crafts, jewelry, ceramics, wines, cheeses and gifts can be found at the market.
Altstadt Markt is convenient since it is located right in Dusseldorf's Old Town on Flinger Strass between Berger Strass and Bolker Strass. The nearest tram stop is Heinrich-Heine-Allee, just a short walk from the market. There is ample parking in the surrounding area with over 5,000 spaces in nearby parking garages and lots. Visitors can take the U78 subway line to the Steinstraße/Königsallee stop and walk from there.
5. Marchen Markt
Märchen Markt is an annual Christmas market held in Dusseldorf, Germany adjacent to the Corneliusplatz. The market opens on Thursday, November 23, 2023 and closes on Saturday, December 30, 2023. Märchen Markt is one of the most popular and largest Christmas markets in Germany, attracting over 4 million visitors each year.
Märchen Markt features over 250 festively decorated stalls offering traditional German Christmas decorations, ornaments, toys, crafts and food items. Vendors sell wooden decorations, glass baubles, nutcrackers, smoked sausages, gingerbread, stollen, roasted almonds, mulled wine and more. Live entertainment can be found on stages set up around the market.
The easiest way to reach the Märchen Markt is by public transportation. Dusseldorf's central train station is just a 10-minute walk from the Corneliusplatz entrance to the market. Visitors can take regional trains or long-distance ICE trains to Dusseldorf. The city has an extensive public transit system of trams, buses and subways. From the Hauptbahnhof central station, visitors can take tram lines 709 or 719 directly to the Corneliusplatz stop.
6. Ko-Bogen Markt
Kö-Bogen Markt is an open-air market located in Düsseldorf, Germany. It is located within the Kö-Bogen building complex of the Königsallee shopping street. Kö-Bogen was designed by renowned architect Daniel Libeskind and opened in 2014. The market occupies the central public plaza of Kö-Bogen, covering an area of approximately 10,000 square meters. The market opens on Thursday, November 23, 2023 and closes on Saturday, December 30, 2023. Kö-Bogen Markt attracts thousands of visitors per day and over 10,000 Christmas market visitors.
Kö-Bogen Mark features over 80 festively decorated wooden stalls selling Christmas treats and handicrafts. Items include Christmas tree decorations, carved wooden figures, candles, baked goods like stollen and gingerbread and hot drinks like mulled wine and hot chocolate. There is an open-air ice rink installed in the plaza for ice skating. Live Christmas music performances take place daily.
Kö-Bogen Markt is convenient due to its central location. It is adjacent to many of Düsseldorf's metro, bus and tram services. The nearest metro stop is Steinstraße/Königsallee. Vehicle access is possible via Jean-Geissen-Straße and Haroldstraße. Kö-Bogen contains a multi-story parking garage.
7. Schadow Markt
Schadow Markt is located in front of the Schadow-Arkaden shopping mall on Schadowstraße in Düsseldorf, Germany. The market opens on Thursday, November 23, 2023 and closes on Saturday, December 30, 2023. It is one of the most popular Christmas markets in Düsseldorf and attracts over 1 million visitors annually.
Schadow Markt features over 70 festively decorated wooden stalls selling Christmas decorations, ornaments, arts and crafts and a variety of food and drinks. otable food options at the Schadow Markt include mulled wine, hot mead, roasted almonds, crepes, Belgian waffles, bratwurst, potato pancakes and German Christmas cookies like lebkuchen, stollen and spekulatius. There is a fondue stall and a raclette alpine cheese bar. Evening music performances take place on a stage next to the tree on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays. There are costumed characters like angels, elves and San Nicolas who walk around the market. There are children's carousels, holiday train rides and puppet theater to provide entertainment for families.
Schadow Markt is conveniently located in central Düsseldorf within walking distance of public transportation. The nearest train station is Heinrich-Heine-Allee, served by U-Bahn lines U70, U74, U75, U76 and U77. Tram lines 709 and 719 stop right at the Schadow Arkaden. There are several public parking garages near the Christmas market as well.
When do the Düsseldorf Christmas Markets open for 2023?
Düsseldorf Christmas Markets opens on Thursday, November 23, 2023 and closes on Saturday, December 30, 2023. The markets namely Engelchen Markt, Sternchen Markt, Handwerke Markt, Altstadt Markt, Marchen Markt, Ko-Bogen Markt and Schadow Markt are all open daily, except for two days. The market is closed on Sunday, November 26, 2023, for Totensonntag (Sunday of the Dead) and Monday, December 25, 2023 (Christmas Day).
Where are the Düsseldorf Christmas Markets taking place?
The Düsseldorf Christmas Market takes place in Altstadt of Düsseldorf, Germany. It is spread out over several interconnected squares with the main market located in Altstadt Square. Engelchen Markt is located in the Altstadt area of Düsseldorf, on Heinrich-Heine-Platz. Sternchen Markt is located in the courtyard near the Königsallee shopping street, on Wilhelm-Marx-Haus Courtyard. Handwerker Markt is located in Altstadt, on Marktplatz. Altstadt Markt is located along Altstadt, on Flinger Strasse. Märchen Markt is located adjacent to Corneliusplatz. Kö-Bogen Markt is located in the urban ensemble on the Königsallee. Schadow Markt is located in front of the Schadow-Arkaden shopping mall.
Why should you visit the Düsseldorf Christmas Market?
Listed below are the things you can buy at Heidelberger Christmas Markets.
- Experience German Christmas Traditions. Experience German Christmas Traditions of the Düsseldorf Christmas markets as it is one of the oldest and most traditional Christmas markets in Germany, with a history dating back to the 16th century. It offers an authentic way to experience German Christmas customs and traditions.
- Shop for Unique Gifts and Crafts. Shop for Unique Gifts and Crafts from over 200 wooden stalls, the Düsseldorf Christmas markets are a great place to shop for unique Christmas ornaments, nutcrackers, toys, crafts and gifts made by local artisans and craftsmen. The booths feature a wide variety of traditional and modern gift ideas.
- Festive Food and Drinks. Festive Food and Drinks such as hot mulled wine and gingerbread to bratwurst sausages and potato pancakes. The Düsseldorf markets have endless options for enjoying traditional German foods and drinks during the holiday season. It's a perfect place to warm up with a mug of Glühwein (mulled wine).
- Enjoy Festive Entertainment. Enjoy Festive Entertainment of Düsseldorf Christmas markets feature live entertainment and music every day. You can listen to choirs singing Christmas carols, watch dance performances, see Christmas plays and more.
What is the cost of visiting the Düsseldorf Christmas Market?
Düsseldorf Christmas Markets does not charge an entry fee. Access to the market squares and streets is completely free. Visitors can wander the stalls, displays and attractions without needing to buy a ticket. The only optional costs involved would be fees for rides, special events, food, drinks, games, craft demonstrations and Santa's visit. Rides to carousels, trains and other rides require tickets ranging from €2 ($2, £1) to €8 ($8, £7) per ride. Special events such as concerts, theatrical performances and events in the market require separate tickets ranging from €5 ($5, £4) to €10 ($10, £8) per event. Food and drinks such as bratwursts, potato pancakes, sweets, mulled wine and hot beverages range between €2 ($2, £1) to €8 ($8, £7). Game stalls including shooting galleries and ring tosses cost €2 ($2, £1) per play. Craft Demonstrations and workshops require paid registration from €5 ($5, £4) and above. Santa's fee starts at €2 ($2, £1) for visits and photos in his house.
What are the attractions close to the Düsseldorf Christmas Markets?
Listed below are the best attractions in Düsseldorf to visit near Düsseldorf Christmas Markets.
- Düsseldorf Riverside Promenade. Düsseldorf Riverside Promenade is a 3.5 kilometers (2.1 miles) promenade that runs along the Rhine River and offers beautiful views. It has wide paths perfect for walking and cycling. The place draws crowds of 30,000 Christmas market visitors and serves as foot traffic from market visitors enjoying the lit-up promenade and is located 1.1 kilometers (0.7 miles) from Düsseldorf Christmas markets.
- Triton Fountain. Triton Fountain is a large and ornate fountain and is a famous landmark on the Rhine promenade. It is located 1.2 miles (0.7 miles from the Düsseldorf Christmas Markets. The bronze sculpture depicts Triton blowing on a conch shell. Visitors from Düsseldorf Christmas markets love taking photos by the fountain, especially with the Christmas markets' lights in the background that attract 50,000 Christmas market visitors.
- Kunstsammlung Nordrhein-Westfalen. Kunstsammlung Nordrhein-Westfalen is an art museum that houses a world-class collection and hosts special exhibits. It draws over 30,000 Christmas market visitors and art lovers that combine it with the Christmas market visit. It is located 2.3 kilometers (1.4 miles) from the Düsseldorf Christmas markets which makes the place an ideal destination for Christmas market visitors.
- Stele für Hilarius Gilges. Stele für Hilarius Gilges is a historical monument located 1.1 km (0.7 miles) away from the Düsseldorf Christmas markets. This monument honors Hilarius Gilges, a Franciscan monk who was executed by the Nazis. The site's proximity to the Christmas markets brings 20,000 Christmas market visitors.
Is there an alternative name for the Düsseldorf Christmas Markets?
Yes, the Düsseldorf Christmas Markets have some alternative names. The most common alternative name is “Düsseldorfer Weihnachtsmärkte” which simply translates to “Düsseldorf Christmas Markets” in German.
What are the Düsseldorf Christmas Markets' Impacts on the Local Economy and Tourism?
Düsseldorf Christmas Markets have a significant positive impact on the local economy and tourism in Düsseldorf. These are to generate substantial revenue for the city, support local businesses and artisans, increase employment, boost occupancy at hotels and enhance international tourism. Generate substantial revenue for the city as the markets attract millions of visitors each year who spend money on food, drinks, rides, gifts and more. Support local businesses and artisans as the markets provide a prime venue for over 1,300 local vendors across the 7 Christmas markets, artists, craftspeople and food and drink purveyors to sell their wares directly to consumers. Increase employment as the markets create thousands of seasonal jobs for locals, especially in hospitality, vendors, entertainment and transportation. Boost occupancy as hotels at Düsseldorf see their highest annual occupancy rates during the Christmas market season. Enhance international tourism as the Düsseldorf Christmas markets draw visitors from around the world, greatly increasing inbound tourism.
Are Düsseldorfer Christmas Markets better than Heidelberger Christmas Markets?
Yes, Düsseldorfer Christmas Markets are better than Heidelberger Christmas Markets in terms of size, variety, accessibility and appeal to international visitors. Düsseldorfer Christmas Markets are significantly larger, spanning over 7 interconnecting markets and attracting millions of visitors annually. Düsseldorfer Christmas markets provide more stalls, events, crowds and scale. Düsseldorfer Christmas markets have a greater variety of products, from traditional crafts to modern gifts and international goods. The market has a major international airport and draws more global visitors.
What food can visitors eat at the Düsseldorf Christmas Markets?
Listed below are the foods visitors can eat at the Düsseldorf Christmas markets.
- Reibekuchen. Reibekuchen are fried potato pancakes topped with applesauce, sugar or other sweet toppings. They are served at stalls in Düsseldorf Christmas markets where they are made fresh to order.
- Mutzen. Vendors walk around selling these warm sweet buns topped with sugar straight from large baskets. Mutzen features flavors like chocolate, nuts and fruit. It is a must-try German food from the Düsseldorf Christmas markets.
- Lebkuchen. Lebkuchen decorated gingerbread in shapes like hearts and angels, which are displayed at stalls in Düsseldorf Christmas markets. Lebkuchen is made right at the markets with old traditional molds.
- Bratwurst. Bratwurst is grilled over a wood fire and is a popular savory food. The best bratwurst has a perfect snap when you bite into it and a blend of pork and spices. It is paired with mustard and sauerkraut and served at stalls in Düsseldorf Christmas markets.
- Flammkuchen. Flammkuchen are thin-crust German pizzas that are topped with cream, onions, bacon and cheese and then baked fresh on-site. The crisp warm flatbread is an ideal snack. Flammkuchen stands can be found all over the Düsseldorf Christmas markets.
What to drink at the Düsseldorf Christmas Markets?
Listed below are the drinks you can have at Düsseldorf Christmas Markets.
- Glühwein (Mulled Wine). Glühwein is a traditional hot spiced red wine that is a must-have drink at any Christmas market in Europe. Glühwein is available at Düsseldorf Christmas markets. It is usually served in commemorative mugs that you can take home.
- Feuerzangenbowle (fire tongs punch). Feuerzangenbowle is a potent rum-based drink that features a flaming sugarloaf that caramelizes into the wine and rum mixture. You can get a delicious cup of this drink at the Düsseldorf Christmas markets.
- Kinderpunsch (children's punch). Kinderpunsch is a hot fruit juice punch, often served with baked apple pieces. It is a sweet treat that kids and adults alike can enjoy. Grab a cup at one of the Düsseldorf Christmas market stalls.
- Heisser Kakao. Heisser Kakao is a chocolate made from high-quality couverture chocolate melted with hot milk or cream. It is often served with a mountain of fresh whipped cream and chocolate shavings on top at Düsseldorf Christmas markets with flavors like salted caramel.
What can people buy at the Düsseldorf Christmas Markets?
Listed below are the things you can buy at Düsseldorf Christmas Markets.
- Wooden Nutcrackers. Wooden Nutcrackers are traditional Christmas decorations, often carved into figures like toy soldiers or kings. Vendors at the Düsseldorf Christmas markets sell nutcrackers of different sizes, shapes and colors. Nutcrackers make unique collectible gifts.
- Beer Steins. Beer Steins are often handpainted or relief-carved out of stoneware is a great souvenir. Beer Steins can be carvings of sites around Düsseldorf like the Rheinturm tower or Burgplatz castle.
- Christmas Ornaments. Christmas Ornaments are decorative objects used to adorn Christmas trees and homes during the holiday season. Ornament stalls at the Düsseldorf Christmas markets offer a variety of glass, wooden and handcrafted ornaments featuring Christmas symbols and designs. These make for great holiday souvenirs and gifts.
- Räuchermännchen. Räuchermännchen are little smoking men figurines that emit a fragrant smoke from their mouths when lit. They are great as gifts or ornaments and are displayed at Düsseldorf Christmas markets.
How to get to the Düsseldorf Christmas Market?
There are four ways to get to Düsseldorf Christmas Markets. These are by plane, train, metro, taxi and on foot. Firstly, by plane, Düsseldorf Airport (DUS) is located 7 kilometers (4.5 miles) north of the city center. You can take the S-Bahn metro train, a taxi, a bus or a rental car to reach the Old Town (Altstadt) where the main Christmas market is located. Secondly, by train, Düsseldorf Hauptbahnhof is the main train station, located just east of the Altstadt. It has regular train connections from cities across Germany. You can walk, take a taxi, metro or tram to the Christmas markets. Thirdly, by metro, the U78, U79 and U83 metro lines and multiple tram lines stop at Heinrich-Heine-Allee and Graf-Adolf-Platz, right next to the Altstadt. These provide easy access from the train station and other parts of Düsseldorf. Fourthly, by taxi, taxis are readily available at the airport, train station and around the city. Taxis from the airport to the Altstadt take 15-20 minutes. Lastly, on foot, you can easily reach the market if you are staying near Altstadt.
Where to stay in Düsseldorf during the Düsseldorf Christmas Markets?
Listed below are the best hotels to stay near the Düsseldorf Christmas Markets.
- Adina Apartment Hotel Düsseldorf. Adina Apartment Hotel Düsseldorf is a 4-star luxury serviced apartment hotel located in central Düsseldorf, 0.8 kilometers (0.5 miles) from the Düsseldorf Christmas markets. The hotel is modernly furnished with comfortable beds, a living area, a flatscreen TV and stylish bathrooms: The hotel has a casual lounge bar serving coffee, drinks and light meals. The hotel is steps from shopping, dining and holiday festivities. The hotels’ proximity to the Christmas market events makes it the best place to stay in Germany during the Christmas season.
- B-chill Dusseldorf Hotel. B-chill Dusseldorf Hotel is a 4-star hotel located 0.7 kilometers (0.4 miles) from the Düsseldorf Christmas markets. The hotel features a lounge bar, fitness center, sauna and rooftop terrace. It has a lounge bar that serves breakfast, drinks and light bites daily. B-chill Dusseldorf is a stylish and convenient home base for exploring Düsseldorf's Christmas Market and city highlights.
- Breidenbacher Hof Hotel. Breidenbacher Hof Hotel is a 5-star luxury hotel set in a restored 19th-century building in downtown Düsseldorf, located 1.1 kilometers (0.7 miles) from the Düsseldorf Christmas markets. The Hotel has decorated rooms and suites with mahogany furniture, Italian marble bathrooms and luxury amenities. Breidenbacher Hof is one of the top options for an indulgent stay while visiting Düsseldorf's Christmas Market.
What are the best restaurants to eat in Düsseldorf?
Listed below are the best restaurants in Düsseldorf.
- El Lazo. El Lazo offers authentic Mexican food, specializing in tacos, ceviches and an extensive tequila selection with a starting price of €12 ($13, £10). The restaurant has communal tables and a social atmosphere making it a good option for groups. El Lazo is 2.3 kilometers (1.4 miles) from the Düsseldorf Christmas Market. The distance from the Christmas market is easily managed by car, taxi or public transport.
- HeimWerk Altstadt. HeimWerk Altstadt serves modern German food with creative twists on classic dishes. The restaurant has a great selection of local German draft beers, wines and cocktails. They are known for schnitzels, pastas and German beers. It is located in Düsseldorf's Old Town, 0.1 kilometers (0.06 miles) from the Düsseldorf Christmas markets. Early reservations are recommended if you want to dine with them as they only cater to intimate or smaller groups.
- Schweine Janes Altstadt. Schweine Janes Altstadt serves traditional German pork dishes and seasonal soups. Their signature dishes are roast suckling pig with crispy skin, pork knuckle, schnitzel, sausages, potato dumplings and apple strudel. The restaurant is located 0.2 kilometers (0.12 miles) from the Düsseldorf Christmas Market. The restaurant's location makes visitors want to try and eat in Germany while experiencing local flavors near the Düsseldorf Christmas market.
PIN FOR LATER
Find below the Christmas Markets guides across the world.