Ghent is a historic city that traces its origins to Celtic and Roman settlements in the early centuries AD. Ghent, strategically located at the confluence of the Scheldt and Leie rivers, became an important port city ruled by wealthy guilds in the Middle Ages. Architectural masterpieces like the Castle of the Counts, Saint Bavo Cathedral and the iconic Belfry tower were constructed during Ghent's golden era from the 13th to 15th centuries when it was one of the largest cities in Northern Europe. Ghent continued to prosper as a centre of industry and commerce through the Renaissance. However, the city saw periods of decline and revival over the ensuing centuries. Today, Ghent is re-emerging as a vibrant, progressive city that proudly preserves its illustrious history while embracing innovation and youth culture. Modern Ghent is the capital and largest city of the East Flanders province with a population of 260,000 residents. It is centrally located, just 50 km (31 miles) northwest of Brussels. The historic core of Ghent sits at the junction of the Leie and Scheldt Rivers and is lined with stunning canals.
The city centre of Ghent features a web of quaint alleys and squares surrounding prominent landmarks like Saint Bavo Cathedral. The university and high-tech industry have shaped modern districts outside the central core. Through commerce, learning and culture, Ghent remains a dynamic gateway to Belgium’s historic past and innovative future. Ghent offers various accommodation options to suit different tastes and budgets. Ghent’s most prestigious addresses are intimate boutique hotels set in restored buildings, offering luxurious amenities and historic charm. Popular options located right in the historic heart of the city include the Ghent River Hotel situated along the Leie in a 16th century guild hall and the 5-star Pillows Grand Hotel Reylof housed in a converted 17th century abbey. Ghent has budget-friendly hotel chains like the Ibis Gent Centrum situated just steps from the Belfry and Saint Bavo Cathedral. Other wallet-friendly options include the modern, no-frills rooms at the Erasmus Hotel next to the railway station or the central 2-star chain B&B Hotel Gent Centrum.
Those wanting self-catering flexibility can consider aparthotel residences like the Adagio Access on the outskirts of the old town. Visitors looking for hotels directly inside Ghent's centre are spoiled for choice. Boutique gems like the Hotel Verhaegen are right on the old town's postcard-perfect squares. The antique-filled mansions housing the Luxe Boutique Hotel provide romantic hideaways. Accommodation choices across styles and budgets allow visitors to fully immerse themselves in Ghent's storied past and thriving present.
Listed below are the best hotels in Ghent:
- The Pillows Grand Boutique Hotel Reylof: The Pillows Grand Boutique Hotel Reylof, located in the heart of Ghent, offers a blend of historic charm and modern comfort. Its prime location allows guests to explore the old town's paved streets and iconic landmarks with ease.
- Ghent Marriott Hotel: The Ghent Marriott Hotel, located near the Korenmarkt square, offers contemporary accommodation and convenient access to the city's attractions. Its proximity to the historic centre makes it an ideal choice for those looking to immerse themselves in the city's vibrant atmosphere.
- 1898 The Post: 1898 The Post, housed in a former post office building, exudes elegance and character. It is located within the city's old town, it offers guests a unique and immersive experience, with easy access to the bustling Gravensteen Castle and charming canals.
- 1. Pillows Grand Boutique Hotel Reylof
- 2. 1898 The Post
- 3. Hotel Carlton
- 4. Ghent Marriott Hotel
- 5. Van der Valk Hotel Gent
- 6. Hotel Harmony
- 7. The Boatel
- 8. Nonam
- 9. Orion Hotel – Ghent
- 10. Merveilleux
- 11. Comic Art Hotel
- 12. B&B Hotel Gent Centrum
- 13. Adagio Access Gent Centrum Dampoort
- 14. Residence Inn by Marriott Ghent
- 15. Yalo Urban Boutique Hotel Ghent
- What are the best neighbourhoods to stay in Ghent?
- Which are the best hotels in Ghent old town?
- Which are the cheapest hotels in Ghent old town?
- Which are the luxury hotels in Ghent old town?
- Which are the best family hotels in Ghent old town?
- Which are the best hotels with a swimming pool in Ghent old town?
- What are the best things to do in Ghent old town?
- What are the best day trips to do in Ghent old town?
- What are the best museums in Ghent old town?
- What are the best restaurants and bars in Ghent old town?
- What is the best Belgian food to try in Ghent old town?
- How to get to Ghent?
- What is the best time to visit Ghent?
- How is Christmas in Ghent old town?
1. Pillows Grand Boutique Hotel Reylof
The Pillows Grand Boutique Hotel Reylof is a luxurious 4-star boutique hotel located in the trendy Patershol area of central Ghent, Belgium. Housed in a restored 17th-century monastic complex, this intimate hotel has lavish rooms and suites decorated in a classic yet contemporary style featuring premium bedding, rainfall showers, Nespresso coffee machines and elegant Carrara marble bathrooms. Facilities at the Reylof include an indoor swimming pool with atmospheric lighting, a sauna and steam room, a cocktail bar, a lounge with a fireplace and a stunning sun terrace in the hotel's inner courtyard. Guests enjoy a complimentary American-style breakfast buffet daily. The Reylof is just 0.7 km (0.4 miles) from Ghent old town, a -minute walk that may not require a rental car. It is less than a 10-minute walk from top attractions like Ghent Cathedral, Saint Bavo's Abbey and the Castle of the Counts. The hotel is also within strolling distance of the city's historic centre, restaurants and shops. Limited private parking is available for a daily fee, otherwise, public parking is available nearby.
Room rates range from 157 euros per night. With its central location, first-class service and plush accommodations, the Pillows Grand Boutique Hotel Reylof offers guests an exclusive luxury retreat in the heart of Ghent. Kids above 3 years are considered adults here. The hotel has a no-pet policy, it's address is Hoogstraat 36, 9000 Gent, Belgium and the phone number is +3292354070.
2. 1898 The Post
1898 The Post in Ghent is a boutique hotel, a category that sets it apart from other types such as luxury, budget, business, beach-front and spa hotels. Located in the heart of Ghent, the hotel offers prime access to local attractions, museums and dining establishments, making it a convenient choice for travellers. It is 0.2 km (0.1 mile) from Ghent old town. The amenities are carefully selected to provide a unique and luxurious experience, featuring artisanal toiletries and exclusive art pieces. The price range is 150- 190 euros. The hotel has an on-site restaurant covering all meals. The central location means that downtown Ghent is often within walking distance, negating the need for a car rental for most activities. Kids are allowed here and those above 3 years are considered adults and guests can ask for extra beds though at a fee.
While the hotel may not offer extensive on-site facilities like a swimming pool, it compensates with other exclusive amenities. High-speed internet is usually available throughout the hotel, often included in the room price and parking facilities may be available on-site or nearby, sometimes at an additional cost. 1898 The Post offers a unique, luxurious experience, distinguished by its central location, curated amenities and personalised service, making it an ideal choice for travellers seeking an experience to remember. Pets are not allowed at the hotel, their address is Graslei 16, 9000 Gent, Belgium and their phone number is +3293915379.
3. Hotel Carlton
Hotel Carlton in Ghent is primarily categorised as a 3-star business hotel, setting it apart from boutique, luxury, budget, beach-front and spa hotels. It is just 4.3 km (2.67 miles) from Ghent old town. Located in a convenient area near the Ghent Saint Peter's train station, the hotel offers easy access to both the city centre and business districts. Amenities are tailored to meet the needs of business travellers, including meeting rooms, a business centre and perhaps even express check-in and check-out services. Prices start at €108. Dining options include a breakfast buffet. Pets are allowed but at an extra fee. High-speed internet is almost always available and is usually included in the room price to facilitate business needs. Parking is often available on-site or nearby, sometimes at an additional cost but occasionally included in corporate packages.
Hotel Carlton in Ghent is a business hotel designed to cater to the needs of corporate travellers, offering a convenient location, tailored amenities and a range of services to facilitate a productive stay. Children 12 years and above are considered adults. Hotel Carlton is located in Kon. Astridlaan 138, 9000 Gent, Belgium and their phone number is +3292228836.
4. Ghent Marriott Hotel
The Ghent Marriott Hotel is best described as a luxury business hotel, a classification that distinguishes it from boutique, budget, beach-front and spa hotels. It is just 0.45 km (0.28 miles) from Ghent old town. Located along the idyllic Graslei, one of Ghent's most charming canals, the hotel enjoys a prime location that offers both serenity and convenient access to the city's business and tourist centres. The hotel is well-appointed in terms of amenities, often featuring a full-service spa, a fitness centre and state-of-the-art meeting rooms, catering to both leisure and business travellers. Ghent Marriott Hotel holds a 4-star rating, indicating its commitment to excellence and guest satisfaction. Ghent Marriott Hotel's price range is 140–160 euros. Dining options at the hotel are diverse, usually featuring an on-site restaurant that offers a range of meals from breakfast to dinner; however, an all-inclusive package may not be standard. Given its central location, downtown Ghent is easily accessible and often just a short walk away, making a car rental unnecessary for most activities. On-site amenities include a gym, bar and restaurant. Children are allowed especially because there are family rooms available.
The hotel only allows service animals or guide dogs. High-speed internet is available throughout the hotel and is often included in the room price. Parking facilities are typically available on-site or nearby, sometimes at an additional cost. The Ghent Marriott Hotel offers a luxurious yet functional experience, characterised by its exceptional location, high-end amenities and a range of services designed to meet the diverse needs of its guests. Ghent Marriott Hotel is located in Korenlei 10, 9000 Gent, Belgium and their phone number is +3292339393.
5. Van der Valk Hotel Gent
The Van der Valk Hotel Gent in Ghent is best described as a business hotel with a touch of luxury, distinguishing it from boutique, budget, beach-front and spa hotels. It is just 6.5 km (4.04 miles) from Ghent old town. Located near major highways and business districts, the hotel's location is particularly convenient for business travellers, although it may require a short drive to reach the city centre. Amenities are comprehensive and tailored to meet the needs of both business and leisure travellers, often including meeting rooms, a fitness centre and perhaps even a spa. Van der Valk Hotel Gent holds a 4-star rating, indicating its quality service and facilities.
The price range is from 101 euros per night, reflecting its business-luxury orientation. Dining options are diverse, featuring an on-site restaurant that offers a range of meals from breakfast to dinner; an all-inclusive package may also be available. Given its location, downtown Ghent is not typically within walking distance, making a car rental or public transport advisable for most activities. Pets are allowed on request and there are charges involved. Children are also allowed as they also have family rooms. High-speed internet is always available and is usually included in the room price to facilitate leisure and business needs. Parking facilities are typically ample and may be available on-site or nearby, often at no additional cost. The Van der Valk Hotel Gent offers a blend of business efficiency and luxury, characterised by its convenient location, comprehensive amenities and a range of services designed to meet the diverse needs of its guests. Van der Valk Hotel Gentis located in Akkerhage 10, 9000 Gent, Belgium and their phone number is +3293965555.
6. Hotel Harmony
Hotel Harmony is a contemporary boutique hotel along the scenic Lys River in Ghent, Belgium. This modern 4-star hotel features stylishly designed rooms with flat-screen TVs, free Wi-Fi, minibars and private bathrooms with rain showers. Guest rooms range from cosy standards to spacious suites with river views. Amenities at Hotel Harmony include a lively bar and lounge, 24-hour front desk service and a sun terrace overlooking the Lys. Guests can enjoy an extensive breakfast buffet daily, as well as dinner and light snacks at the on-site restaurant with both indoor and outdoor seating. Room rates start from 130 euros per night, including breakfast.
The hotel is 0.6 km (0.4 miles), a 7-minute walk from Ghent's historic city centre and main attractions like St. Bavo's Cathedral. Limited private parking is available for an extra charge; otherwise, public parking is nearby. Children are allowed from all ages. The hotel even provides cots on request at an extra fee. Pets are not allowed. With its scenic riverfront setting, contemporary styling and proximity to the best of Ghent, Hotel Harmony offers an ideal spot for both leisure and business travellers. Hotel Harmony Gentis located in Kraanlei 37, 9000 Gent, Belgium and their phone number is +3293242680.
7. The Boatel
The Boatel is a uniquely designed boutique hotel aboard two docked historical barges on the River Lys in Ghent, Belgium. It is located just 1 km (0.6 miles) from Ghent old town. Boatel is an intimate 2-star hotel that offers an entirely novel accommodation experience with just six rooms total aboard the two converted barges, allowing guests to enjoy gentle rocking sensations and river views. Guest rooms are nautically styled with porthole windows, wood finishes and compact yet cleverly planned bathrooms. Amenities include flat-screen TVs, mini-fridges and free WiFi access. The Boatel provides a complimentary breakfast buffet each morning, which can be enjoyed on the deck when weather permits. Light snacks are also available onsite. While dining options are limited aboard the intimate barges, the hotel is conveniently located just steps away from a row of lively riverside restaurants and cafés. Room rates range between 128 and 200 euros per night, depending on room size and river views.
The Boatel is a pleasant 12-minute Ghent's historic city centre which does not require a rental car. Attractions like St. Bavo's Cathedral and Ghent Castle are easily reachable in just 10 minutes by bicycle, which the hotel provides free for guest use. On-site parking is unavailable; however, public parking areas are nearby. With its quirky nautical styling and scenic river location, The Boatel offers guests a uniquely charming and tranquil base to explore the historic Belgian city of Ghent. Children of all ages are allowed. Pets are unfortunately not allowed. The Boatel is located in Voorhoutkaai 44, 9000 Gent, Belgium and their phone number is +32477590642.
Nonam is a modern 4-star boutique hotel in a quiet residential area just outside Ghent’s historic city centre. It is just 1 km (0.6 miles) from Ghent old town. The contemporary hotel has nine minimalist rooms decorated in neutral tones with amenities like rainfall showers, cocoon beds, Nespresso machines and floor-to-ceiling windows. Nonam provides an intimate, design-focused accommodation experience. The hotel has an on-site restaurant offering various meals. Room rates start from 110 euros per night. Nonam is just steps from the Dampoort train station and tram line, providing easy access to central Ghent in 5 minutes. The hotel rents bicycles so guests can explore like locals. Nonam is just a 12-minute walk from Ghent Old town, which does not require renting a car. Key attractions such as Ghent Cathedral, the Belfry and Saint Bavo's Abbey are a 10-15 minute bike ride away.
Nonam does not have private parking, but street parking is available nearby. The hotel doesn’t allow pets and has free WiFi throughout. Nonam also features a small meeting room suitable for business gatherings and it allows kids of all ages. With its minimalist aesthetic, proximity to transportation and the historic city centre, Nonam offers an ideal base for an understated yet modern Ghent experience. The hotel's intimate size and attentive service provide a personalised boutique feel. Nonam hotel is located in Sluizekenkaai 1, 9000 Gent, Belgium and their phone number is +3293294914.
9. Orion Hotel – Ghent
The Orion Hotel is a modern 3-star business hotel along the scenic Brusselsesteenweg in Ghent, Belgium. It is just 4.5 km (2.8 miles) from Ghent old town. Orion Hotel – Ghent is located outside the city centre and features spacious, sleek rooms with flat-screen TVs, minibars and bright bathrooms with rainfall showers. Guest rooms range from standards to suites with seating areas and city views. Hotel amenities include a 24-hour fitness room, steam room, bike rentals and limited garage parking for a fee. There are three on-site dining options – the buffet-style restaurant Altair serves international cuisine for breakfast and dinner, the bar Mirzam offers drinks and tapas and the Lobby Lounge provides a relaxed setting for coffee and cocktails. Room rates start from 90 euros per night.
The Orion Hotel lies just over 1km from Ghent’s historic centre and main attractions like St. Bavo’s Cathedral, Graslei and the Castle of the Counts. The hotel is a 40-minute scenic walk or quick tram ride to downtown. Renting a car to travel from the hotel is a viable option. With ample modern amenities tailored to business travellers, multilingual staff and proximity to transportation links, the Orion Hotel offers an efficient, upscale accommodation option outside central Ghent, perfect for conferences or brief city trips. Kids are allowed but note, those above 4 years are considered adults. Pets are not allowed here. Orion Hotelis located in Krijgslaan 181, 9000 Gent, Belgium and their phone number is +3293951295.
Merveilleux is a charming boutique hotel in the heart of Old town Ghent, Belgium. It is just 80 m (0.04 miles) from Ghent old town. Set in two restored 16th-century townhomes along the Leie River, this B&B hotel has just eight individually designed rooms mixing vintage décor with modern amenities like rainfall showers and Nespresso makers. Rooms range from cosy nests tucked into the eaves to spacious suites with river views and clawfoot tubs. Facilities at Merveilleux include a tranquil patio and library lounge. Merveilleux offers a delightful breakfast spread of local cheeses, breads, granola and pastry daily. The hotel’s central location provides easy access to restaurants and cafés just steps away from other meals. Room rates range between 150 to 200 euros per night.
Merveilleux enjoys an extremely central and walkable location in Ghent. Merveilleux is situated alongside the sparkling Leie, just around the corner from landmarks like St. Bavo’s Cathedral, the Belfry of Ghent and the 13th century Gravensteen Castle. Ghent’s stunning historical centre dotted with shops, cafés and sites is right at the hotel's doorstep. The townhome has no private parking, so public parking areas are a 5-minute walk away. With its intimate size, quintessential Flemish architecture and unbeatable central location, the Merveilleux boutique hotel offers guests the perfect launchpad to enjoy Old town charm in the heart of Ghent. Kids are allowed regardless of age and one can ask for a cot at an extra charge. Pets are not allowed at Merveilleux. Merveilleux Hotel is located in Mageleinstraat 38, 9000 Gent, Belgium and their phone number is +3293390151.
11. Comic Art Hotel
The Comic Art Hotel is a lively, design-focused boutique in the vibrant Patershol neighbourhood of Ghent, Belgium. It is just 4.3km (2.67 miles) from Ghent old town. As the name suggests, this 4-star hotel celebrates European comic art through its colourful, contemporary rooms each decorated with murals and designs by a different Belgian comic artist. The modern rooms feature amenities like rainfall showers, minibars and free WiFi. Rates range between 100 to 150 euros per night. Hotel facilities include a comic book library, funky bar and continental breakfast buffet served daily. The cosy on-site comic bistro provides a perfect spot to enjoy Belgian beers, wines and small plates in a relaxed atmosphere surrounded by comic art.
The Comic Art Hotel is within a 10-minute walk of top attractions like St. Bavo's Cathedral, the Belfry Tower, Graslei Harbour and the Old Town Centre. No private parking is available, but public parking is abundant. With its vibrant comic-inspired design, the Comic Art Hotel adds a playful, contemporary accommodation choice to historic Ghent. Guests can immerse themselves in Belgium's world-renowned comic art scene while enjoying easy access to all the Old Town charm Ghent provides. Comic Art Hotel offers families a lively, family-friendly atmosphere while providing free WiFi. No pets are allowed. For a colourful, one-of-a-kind boutique experience embedded in Ghent’s trendy Patershol district, the Comic Art Hotel hits the mark. Comic Art Hotel is located in Augustijnenkaai 2, 9000 Gent, Belgium and their phone number is +3293103090.
12. B&B Hotel Gent Centrum
The B&B Hotel Gent Centrum is a convenient, affordable 3-star hotel in the heart of Ghent, Belgium. It is just 0.27 km (0.16 miles) from Ghent old town. Part of Europe's B&B hotel chain, this basic 3-star hotel offers simple, modern rooms equipped with en-suite bathrooms, flat-screen TVs and desks. Room types range from standard queen rooms to family rooms with up to 2 adults and 2 children. Hotel amenities are limited but include vending machines for snacks and drinks, pet-friendly rooms and complimentary WiFi. A breakfast buffet with pastries, bread, fruit and hot drinks is available for 6 euros per person. There is no full restaurant onsite; however, the hotel enjoys a central location surrounded by cafés and restaurants. Room rates start from 77 euros per night.
The B&B Hotel Gent Centrum lies within a 5-minute walk of top attractions such as Ghent Cathedral, the Belfry tower on Korenmarkt Square and the Gravensteen Castle. The scenic Graslei Harbour and the Design Museum are also less than 10 minutes away on foot. Private parking is not available, but public parking garages are nearby. With its central position and budget-friendly rates, the B&B Hotel Gent Centrum provides an ideal base for travellers focused on exploring Ghent's historic highlights. Note, kids above 4 years are considered adults and end up paying the normal adult rates. Pets are also allowed but at an additional charge. B&B Hotel Gent Centrum is located in Voldersstraat 17, 9000 Gent, Belgium and their phone number is +3293966130.
13. Adagio Access Gent Centrum Dampoort
The Adagio Access Gent Centrum Dampoort is a convenient 3-star apartment hotel 1.9 km (1.18 miles) from Ghent historic centre. Part of the Adagio aparthotel chain, it offers modern studio and two-room apartments equipped with kitchenettes, living areas and sleek bathrooms. All apartments have flat-screen TVs, dining tables and free WiFi. Select units add separate bedrooms and scenic views. On-site amenities include vending machines, laundry facilities, luggage storage and limited private underground parking for a fee. There is no full restaurant; however, guests can shop for groceries at the on-site mini-mart to stock their kitchenette. The Dampoort area offers several restaurants within walking distance too. Nightly rates range from 90 to 180 euros.
The Adagio is conveniently located just 100 metres from the Dampoort train station, providing direct access to Ghent’s historic heart just 2 stops away. Attractions like the Belfry, Saint Bavo Cathedral, Castle of the Counts and the harbour are 5-10 minutes by train or bike. With handy amenities for longer stays and proximity to transportation, Adagio Access Gent Centrum Dampoort suits business and leisure travellers seeking an affordable, functional base close to central Ghent. This hotel is open for kids accompanied by their parent. Pets are allowed at ana extra cost. Adagio Access Gent Centrum Dampoort is located in Koopvaardijlaan 29, 9000 Gent, Belgium and their phone number is +3293952010.
14. Residence Inn by Marriott Ghent
The Residence Inn by Marriott Ghent is best categorised as a business hotel with extended-stay features, setting it apart from boutique, luxury, budget, beach-front and spa hotels. Located in a convenient area near key business districts and transport links, the hotel offers an ideal base for both short-term and long-term stays. The amenities are tailored to meet the needs of business travellers and those looking for extended stays, often featuring fully-equipped kitchens in each suite, a business centre and even laundry facilities. While the star rating can vary, hotels like the Residence Inn by Marriott usually receive high marks for their comprehensive amenities and customer service. The price range in euros is moderate, designed to accommodate corporate budgets and travellers looking for longer stays. Dining options at the hotel are flexible, often featuring a complimentary breakfast and an on-site grocery store for guests who prefer to cook their meals. The hotel is usually a short drive from downtown Ghent, making a car rental or public transport advisable for most activities. On-site facilities may include a fitness centre but are unlikely to feature a swimming pool, focusing instead on practical amenities that enhance long-term stays. The child and pets policy is generally accommodating, making it a suitable choice for families and pet owners. High-speed internet is almost always available and is usually included in the room price, an essential feature for business travellers. Parking is often available on-site, sometimes at an additional cost, but occasionally included in long-term stay packages.
The Residence Inn by Marriott Ghent offers a unique blend of business efficiency and home-like comfort, characterised by its convenient location, comprehensive amenities and flexible dining options. It is particularly well-suited for travellers seeking extended stays, offering a range of services beyond the typical hotel experience to provide a home away from home. Residence Inn by Marriott Ghent is open to kids. Those above 13 years are considered adults here. Pets are allowed at an additional cost. Residence Inn by Marriott Ghent is located in Akkerhage 2A, 9000 Gent, Belgium and their phone number is +3293987400.
15. Yalo Urban Boutique Hotel Ghent
The Yalo Urban Boutique Hotel in Ghent is a quintessential boutique hotel, separating it from luxury, budget, business, beach-front and spa hotels. It is just 0.5 km (0.31 miles) from Ghent old town. Located in the heart of Ghent's historical centre, the hotel offers guests immediate access to cultural landmarks, artisan shops and gourmet dining establishments. The amenities are meticulously curated to reflect its boutique nature, often featuring unique art installations, artisanal toiletries and individually designed rooms. Yalo Urban Boutique Hotel Ghent is a 4-star Boutique hotel garnering high praise for its attention to detail and personalised service. The price range from 100-150 euros tends to be moderate to high, reflecting the unique and intimate experience it offers. Dining options at Yalo are typically limited to high-quality, locally sourced breakfasts, focusing on providing a gourmet start to the day rather than full-service dining. Given its central location, downtown Ghent is just a short walk away, making car rentals largely unnecessary. On-site facilities are unlikely to include a swimming pool but may feature other unique amenities like a rooftop terrace or a private garden. The child and pets policy is generally accommodating but may have some restrictions, particularly for pets. High-speed internet is usually available throughout the hotel and is often included in the room price. Parking may be available but is typically limited and may come at an additional cost.
The Yalo Urban Boutique Hotel offers an unparalleled, intimate experience, characterised by its prime location, carefully curated amenities and a focus on personalised service. It is ideal for travellers seeking an authentic and unique stay, providing a room and a memorable experience steeped in local culture and artistry. Yalo Urban Boutique Hotel Ghentis located in Brabantdam 33, 9000 Gent, Belgium and their phone number is +3293959200.
What are the best neighbourhoods to stay in Ghent?
Listed below are the best neighbourhoods to stay in Ghent:
- Graslei (Grass Quay) and Korenlei: Graslei (Grass Quay) and Korenlei are the heart of Ghent's historic centre, offering a stunning setting by River Leie. The area is lively, featuring a mix of traditional Belgian architecture and modern amenities. Cafés, shops and museums are many, making it a convenient and vibrant place to stay.
- Patershol: Patershol is known for its narrow, winding streets and offers a quieter experience. This neighbourhood is a haven for food lovers, boasting a variety of restaurants that serve everything from traditional Belgian cuisine to international dishes. The area also has a relaxed atmosphere, making it ideal for those looking to escape the hustle and bustle.
- Post Plaza: Post Plaza is a hub for shopping and dining, featuring a range of boutiques and eateries. The neighbourhood is also close to key attractions like the Ghent Cathedral and the Gravensteen Castle. It is well-connected by public transport, making it easy to explore other parts of the city.
- Prinsenhof: Prinsenhof is a residential area that provides a more local experience. The neighbourhood is less crowded than the central areas but still offers a good range of amenities like shops and restaurants. It is also close to some of Ghent's parks, providing opportunities for outdoor activities.
Which are the best hotels in Ghent old town?
Listed below are the best hotels in Ghent Old Town:
- Yalo Urban Boutique Hotel: Yalo Urban Boutique Hotel is in the heart of the old town and offers an intimate boutique experience. The hotel is within walking distance of key historic sites and provides meticulously curated amenities. Parking may be limited, but a car is largely unnecessary, given the central location.
- Ghent Marriott Hotel: Ghent Marriott Hotel is located along the scenic Graslei and is just a stone's throw away from the old town. It offers a blend of opulence and functionality, with amenities like a full-service spa and a swimming pool. The hotel is within walking distance of the old town's major attractions.
- 1898 The Post: 1898 The Post is a boutique hotel set in a historic building and offers a unique, luxurious experience. It is centrally located, making most of the old town's attractions easqily accessible by foot. The hotel often receives high marks for its personalised service and unique offerings.
Which are the cheapest hotels in Ghent old town?
Listed below are the cheapest hotels in Ghent:
- Getaway Studios Gent: Getaway Studios Gent is a budget-friendly option that offers studio apartments with basic kitchen facilities. It is often chosen for its low pricing and the added value of self-catering amenities.
- B&B Hotel Gent Centrum: B&B Hotel Gent Centrum is another budget option that provides essential amenities without the frills. Its low pricing and central location make it a popular choice among budget-conscious travellers.
- Treck Hostel: Treck Hostel is a unique, budget-friendly accommodation that offers themed rooms in a relaxed environment. It is particularly popular among young travellers and those looking for a cheap but good place to stay.
- Hostel Uppelink: Hostel Uppelink continues to be a budget-friendly choice, especially popular among backpackers and young travellers. Located along the river, it offers dormitory-style rooms at a low cost, making it a cheap option for those willing to share space.
Which are the luxury hotels in Ghent old town?
Listed below are the luxury hotels in Ghent:
- Pillows Grand Boutique Hotel Reylof: Pillows Grand Boutique Hotel Reylof is the epitome of luxury, often described as a 5-star hotel. It is located in a historic mansion and blends classic elegance and modern amenities, including a spa and a Michelin-starred restaurant. Pillows Grand Boutique Hotel Reylof is perfect for a romantic getaway or a luxurious city break.
- Van der Valk Hotel Gent: Van der Valk Hotel Gent is another luxury option, offering a blend of modern opulence and functionality. While it is not located directly in the old town, its proximity and high-quality amenities, like a full-service spa and fine dining, make it an expensive but worthwhile choice for those seeking luxury.
- 1898 The Post: 1898 The Post is a luxury boutique hotel set in a historic building, offering a unique and opulent experience. It is centrally located in the old town, making most of the area's attractions easily accessible by foot. The hotel is often chosen for romantic getaways and city breaks, thanks to its unique offerings and high level of service.
Which are the best family hotels in Ghent old town?
Listed below are the best family hotels in Ghent old town:
- Ghent Marriott Hotel: Ghent Marriott Hotel is a family-friendly option along the scenic Graslei. The hotel offers spacious family rooms and is within walking distance of many of Ghent's key attractions, making it convenient for families. Babysitting services are also available upon request, allowing parents some leisure time.
- Novotel Gent Centrum: Novotel Gent Centrum is another excellent choice for families, offering amenities like a swimming pool and family rooms with extra beds. The hotel is centrally located, making it easy for families to explore the old town. Kitchen appliances such as microwaves and mini-fridges are available in the rooms for added convenience.
- Pillows Grand Boutique Hotel Reylof: While generally considered a luxury hotel, Pillows Grand Boutique Hotel Reylof also offers family-friendly amenities. The hotel provides spacious rooms that can accommodate families, along with babysitting services for parents looking for a romantic evening out. The hotel's garden and indoor pool provide additional entertainment options for kids.
Which are the best hotels with a swimming pool in Ghent old town?
Listed below are the best hotels with a swimming pool in Ghent old town:
- Ghent Marriott Hotel: Ghent Marriott Hotel is located along the stunning Graslei and features an indoor swimming pool as part of its wellness centre. The hotel is within walking distance of the old town's major attractions, making it convenient for sightseeing and relaxation. The pool area is well-maintained, providing a luxurious setting for guests.
- Pillows Grand Boutique Hotel Reylof: Pillows Grand Boutique Hotel Reylof is a luxury hotel that offers a full-service spa with an indoor swimming pool. Pillows Grand Boutique Hotel Reylof is located in a historic mansion and combines classic elegance with modern amenities. The pool is often highlighted as a standout feature, perfect for relaxation after a day of exploring the old town.
- Novotel Gent Centrum: Novotel Gent Centrum is a family-friendly hotel catering to those looking for aquatic leisure, featuring an outdoor swimming pool. Centrally located, the hotel allows easy access to the old town's attractions. The pool offers a refreshing break, especially during the summer months.
What are the best things to do in Ghent old town?
There are various best things to do in Ghent old town as the city offers a rich tapestry of experiences that cater to a wide range of interests. Located in the heart of Belgium, Ghent is a historical gem replete with stunning architecture, paved streets and scenic canals. One of the must-visit landmarks is the Gravensteen Castle, a well-preserved fortress that provides a glimpse into the city's past. Art enthusiasts will find solace in the Museum voor Schone Kunsten, which houses an impressive collection of fine arts spanning several centuries. For those interested in religious history, Saint Bavo's Cathedral is not to be missed; it is home to the famous Ghent Altarpiece. The Graslei and Korenlei, two streets facing each other across the River Leie, offer a stunning setting for a leisurely walk or a boat tour. As the sun sets, the city's vibrant nightlife comes alive with many bars, cafes and restaurants, offering a taste of local Belgian cuisine and the famed Belgian beers. For those looking to explore beyond the city centre, the Blaarmeersen recreation area provides outdoor activities like swimming, kayaking and hiking opportunities. The above are some amazing things to do in Ghent. Whether going into history, soaking up the culture or simply enjoying the natural beauty, Ghent offers a multifaceted experience that leaves a lasting impression on its visitors.
What are the best day trips to do in Ghent old town?
Listed below are the best day trips to do in Ghent old town:
- Visit Gravensteen Castle: Gravensteen Castle is a fortress that provides a fascinating glimpse into the city's past and offers panoramic views of Ghent from its towers. A trip to Ghent would be incomplete without visiting the iconic Gravensteen Castle.
- Boat Tour on the River Leie: One of the most relaxing ways to see Ghent is by taking a boat tour along the River Leie. This offers a unique perspective of the old town's beautiful architecture and scenic canals.
- Explore St. Bavo's Cathedral: Home to the famous Ghent Altarpiece, St. Bavo's Cathedral is a must-visit for anyone interested in art and religious history. The cathedral itself is a masterpiece of Gothic architecture.
- Stroll Along the Graslei and Korenlei: Graslei and Korenlei are stunning streets that run parallel to each other along the River Leie and are perfect for a leisurely stroll. The area is lined with historic buildings and is a popular spot for dining and people-watching.
- Visit the Museum voor Schone Kunsten: A visit to the Museum of Fine Arts (Museum voor Schone Kunsten) is highly recommended for art enthusiasts. The museum houses an impressive collection of artworks ranging from the Middle Ages to the 20th century.
What are the best museums in Ghent old town?
Listed below are the best museums in Ghent:
- Museum voor Schone Kunsten (Museum of Fine Arts): Museum voor Schone Kunsten (Museum of Fine Arts) is a treasure trove for art enthusiasts, housing an impressive collection from the Middle Ages to the 20th century. It's a must-visit for anyone keen on delving into the artistic heritage of Ghent and beyond.
- STAM – Ghent City Museum: STAM – Ghent City Museum is the go-to place for understanding the history and evolution of Ghent. The museum provides a comprehensive overview of the city's past and present through interactive exhibits and historical artefacts.
- Design Museum Gent: Design Museum Gent is a museum that offers a unique experience for those interested in design and contemporary art. It showcases various design objects, from historical pieces to modern-day innovations, highlighting Ghent's role in the design world.
What are the best restaurants and bars in Ghent old town?
When it comes to dining and imbibing, the restaurants and bars in Ghent's old town offer diverse options that cater to various tastes and preferences; for those seeking a fine dining experience, Oak and Karel de Stoute are well known for their exquisite cuisine and elegant atmosphere. Publiek is another culinary gem known for its innovative dishes that blend traditional Belgian flavours with modern techniques. Oud Clooster provides a unique experience in a former monastery for a more serene and spiritual dining setting. On the bar front, The Alchemist is the go-to spot for craft cocktails, offering a modern twist on classic drinks. For those who prefer something stronger, ‘t Dreupelkot is a traditional jenever (gin) bar that offers an extensive selection of this Belgian spirit. Trollekelder, with its wide range of Belgian beers and cosy interior, is perfect for those looking to soak in the local culture. Each of these best restaurants and bars in Ghent contributes to the vibrant culinary and nightlife scene in Ghent's old town, making it a must-visit destination for foodies and socialites alike.
What is the best Belgian food to try in Ghent old town?
The best Belgian food to try in Ghent is “Waterzooi”, a creamy fish or chicken stew that originated in Ghent and is a staple in many local restaurants. Another classic is “Stoofvlees”, a Belgian beef stew often accompanied by a generous serving of fries, known locally as “frites”, which are typically enjoyed with various dipping sauces. For those with a sweet tooth, “Gentse neuzen”, also known as Ghent noses, are cone-shaped raspberry-flavoured candies that are a local delicacy. And let's not forget the Belgian waffles, which are available in various forms but are always delicious. Ghent's old town is an excellent Belgian food guide for locals and tourists alike. To wash it all down, Ghent offers a wide range of Belgian beers, each with its unique flavour profile and brewing history. Whether one is a fan of hearty stews, delectable sweets or robust beers, Ghent's Old Town provides a comprehensive Belgian food experience that should not be missed.
How to get to Ghent?
The most straightforward way to get to Ghent is by train. Ghent's main railway station, Gent-Sint-Pieters, is well-connected to various cities in Belgium and neighbouring countries. From the station, the old town is easily accessible via a 10-15 minute tram ride on lines 1 or 4, which drop passengers off at stops like Korenmarkt or Gravensteen, both located in the heart of the old town. Ghent is well-connected by motorways like the E17 and E40 for those arriving by car. Parking facilities are available around the old town, such as the Sint-Michiels parking garage, which is centrally located and within walking distance of major attractions.
Alternatively, one can also arrive via boat via the River Leie, as Ghent has several docking points close to the old town. This option offers a scenic and leisurely approach to entering the city. Lastly, for those flying in, the closest airport is Brussels Airport. From there, one can take a direct train to Gent-Sint-Pieters station, making the journey to Ghent's old town hassle-free. Each option is backed by a robust infrastructure that makes travelling to Ghent's old town both convenient and efficient. Whether by train, car, boat or plane, reaching this historic and stunning part of Ghent is straightforward.
What is the best time to visit Ghent?
The best time to visit Ghent is from late spring to early autumn, specifically from May to September. During this period, the weather is generally mild and pleasant, making it ideal for exploring the paved streets, historic landmarks and scenic canals. The outdoor cafes and restaurants come alive, offering a vibrant atmosphere that allows visitors to soak in the local culture. Evidence supporting this recommendation includes the city's numerous outdoor events and festivals during these months. One of the most notable is the Gentse Feesten, a 10-day festival in July that transforms the old town into a lively hub of music, theatre and entertainment. The Graslei and Korenlei, two of Ghent's most stunning streets, are particularly enchanting during the summer, with locals and tourists enjoying boat rides or leisurely strolls along the canals. The longer daylight hours provide ample time to explore the city's numerous attractions, such as Gravensteen Castle, St. Bavo's Cathedral and various museums, without feeling rushed. The gardens and parks, like the Citadelpark, also bloom during this period, offering peaceful retreats within the city. Visiting Ghent's old town between May and September offers the most enriching experience, backed by favourable weather conditions and a plethora of activities that allow one to fully appreciate the beauty and culture of this historic Belgian city.
How is Christmas in Ghent old town?
Christmas in Ghent is a magical experience, transforming the city into a winter wonderland with festive decorations, twinkling lights and seasonal activities. The old town, in particular, becomes the epicentre of holiday celebrations, offering a traditional Christmas market considered one of the best in Belgium. Evidence supporting the enchanting nature of Ghent's Christmas celebrations includes the annual Ghent Winter Festival, usually from early December to early January. During this period, the historic centre is adorned with thousands of twinkling lights, creating a fairy-tale atmosphere that captivates locals and tourists. The Ghent Christmas market in the heart of the old town offers a wide range of handcrafted gifts, Belgian treats like waffles and speculoos and the quintessential mulled wine known as “Gluhwein”. Another highlight is the ice-skating rink near St. Bavo's Cathedral, providing a delightful activity for families and couples alike. The Gravensteen Castle also gets a festive makeover, with special light installations and decorations that make it even more captivating than usual. Cultural events are not in short supply either. Concerts featuring Christmas carols are commonly held in various churches and public spaces, adding a musical dimension to the celebrations. Moreover, many of Ghent's museums and galleries offer special Christmas-themed exhibitions or extended opening hours, making it a great time for cultural exploration. Christmas in Ghent is a festive and heartwarming experience marked by traditional celebrations, cultural events and a general atmosphere of joy and togetherness. The old town, with its streets and historic buildings, provides the perfect backdrop for what is undoubtedly one of the most enchanting times to visit the city.
What is the weather like in Ghent?
Ghent has a temperate oceanic climate, bringing variable weather throughout the year to its historic centre. Summers are generally mild, with average highs of 22°C in July and August. However, heatwaves can push temperatures into the 30s at times. Locals and visitors alike seek shade under café awnings on sunny days. When summer storms roll through, the Gothic buildings provide shelter as people hurry through the streets. Winters are typically cool, with average lows just above freezing and daily highs of 5-8°C (41-46.4°F) in January and February. Frost and snow transform landmarks like St. Bavo's Cathedral and Ghent Castle into winter wonderlands. The chilled air enhances the scent of gingerbread at the Christmas markets that open in the old town's squares. Rainfall is evenly distributed year-round, though autumn tends to be the wettest. Layers are recommended when visiting to handle changing conditions. The weather adds atmosphere, whether the sun glittering off waterways in spring or the icy glow of lights in winter. The temperate oceanic climate brings dynamic skies to enhance the rich history and culture of Ghent's storied old town throughout the seasons.
PIN FOR LATER