Have you been postponing things you really want to do until later?
Now’s the time
Every now and then you come across these articles saying you should have done these 25 things before you turned 25 (way too late for me) or you should have traveled to these 30 places before you turn 30.
I don’t believe there’s an expiry date on chasing your travel dreams. #Anydaysgood to start and that’s why in 2017 I’m going to celebrate turning 30 by going on a quest to check off 30 travel experiences I’ve always wanted to have. Some of them are big, others are small. The point isn’t to go out and do the wildest things possible. The point is to go do the things I don’t want to regret not having done 10 or 20 years from now.
Join me for this travel challenge!
I’ve made a list of the things I want to do while I’m 30 – that’s between the beginning of February 2017 and the end of February 2018. I’m not going to ask you to do the same things because that list consists of my personal travel dreams.
What I am going to ask you, is to create a list of your own personal travel goals for the year. You can add whatever you want, from crazy things like bungee jumping abroad to quirky things like eating ice cream in at least one new country.
You could just write your list down on a piece of paper, but that’s a bit boring, isn’t? So I made a pretty checklist you can save, print out, fill in and hang on your fridge or somewhere else so that you’re reminded of your travel goals daily… and go after them!
Each big quest needs a name, so I’ve dubbed this project the #Anydaysgood challenge. Whenever I’m checking off one of my 30 travel dreams, I’ll be sharing it on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Google+ using the #Anydaysgood hashtag.
Will you do the same?
I’d love for you to participate. All you need to do is share your experiences using the hashtag so we can all follow along and encourage each other to go for it. On the special #Anydaysgood Instagram account, I’ll also be resposting photos of people sharing their travel accomplishments by using the hashtag.
The #Anydaysgood Dream Chasers Facebook group
For those of you who really want to get into it, I’ve created a special #Anydaysgood Facebook group. In the group, you’ll be able to:
- share your own travel checklist so we can help keep you accountable and make sure you chase those dreams
- celebrate your travel accomplishments by sharing photos and stories of your travels
- see what other Dream Chasers are up to
- get help planning your next trip from a helpful community… and me!
- have fun talking all things travel with
And I might be sharing some exclusive news from my own #Anydaysgood adventures in there once in a while… 🙂
My 30 things
Below you can find the 30 things I plan to check off while I’m 30. Yes, I’m keeping one as a surprise! As I check them all off, I’ll write about them and link to them from here, so be sure to check this page throughout the year.
1. Learn a dance in its country of origin – I learned the Waltz in Vienna and I’ll learn a local farmer’s dance in Zillertal, Austria in September!
2. Dance shamelessly to a street artist’s music
3. Practice a language abroad – I’m taking a Spanish course in Sevilla in September!
4. Go somewhere warm in winter – I’m going to Morocco in December!
5. Visit as many new countries as possible – at least 3 – Sweden was my first new country, South Africa in September will be my second and Morocco in December will be my third!
6. Have a local guide me around a city
7. See whales in the wild – I’ll hopefully do this in South Africa in September!
8. Try as many new local dishes as possible – at least 3 – I had goulashsuppe and Käse-Knödel in Austria as well as Frys sugarbread in Leeuwarden
9. Go on a safari – I’ll do this in South Africa in September!
10. Spend a romantic week road tripping in a camper van with my partner – I did this in June! Post to come 🙂
11. Travel for longer than two weeks at an end – I’ll do this in South Africa in September!
12. Be interviewed by a foreign newspaper or magazine
13. Attend a local event wearing local traditional clothes – I’ll attend a cattle drive in Zillertal, Austria in September!
14. Help a local community out
15. Fly in a hot air balloon
16. Run through and do a photoshoot in a lavender field – I did this in France! Post to come 🙂
17. Go partying with locals – I’ll do this in Rotterdam in August!
18. See a ballet abroad – I did this in Stockholm, Sweden!
19. Go on a body, mind and soul retreat
20. Do a homestay – I’ll be staying with a local family when I’m traveling to Zillertal, Austria in September!
21. Watch the sunrise/sunset in an iconic place – I did a sunrise hike in Austria! I was supposed to do a sunset hike in Vorarlberg, Austria as well, but something got in the way.
22. Soak in a hot spring
23. Visit a tea plantation
24. Eat at a dessert-only restaurant
25. Follow the route of a fictional book in a specific destination
26. Take a self-defense class
27. Spend a night in the desert I plan to do this in Morocco in December!
28. Climb a volcano – I visited the volcanic craters in the German Vulkaneiffel in July and hope to make it to Tenerife to climb Mount Teide.
29. To be announced!
30. Read a book about every country I’ll visit for the #Anydaysgood project
Ready? Let’s do this! Let me know what you’re putting on your list, share photos of your experiences using #Anydaysgood and if you think this challenge is a cool idea, please share it with your friends so they can participate too.